Generate Bibliography on Dissertation Not Working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ehbarnet

Generate Bibliography on Dissertation Not Working

Post by ehbarnet »

Hi,

I'm just wrapping up my dissertation and I'm finally getting ready to generate a bibliography for my numerous citations. For reference, my word processor is word 16.16.27 and I'm using the most recent version of Bookends. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble actually generating the bibliography. When I scan my document and click on the generate bibliography option, nothing happens and bookends freezes. This is obviously quite frustrating, since I have 750+ citations, and it would be extremely time consuming to go through bookends and manually select each citation and generate a bibliography that way.

Is there anything I can do here? I know that I could generate a bibliography on a chapter by chapter basis, but that would create duplicate biographical entries, and would leave me with a lot of work putting everything in the right order once I put the chapters together again.

Thanks so much!

Edward
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Generate Bibliography on Dissertation Not Working

Post by Jon »

Do you have images, too? If so, it might be a matter of size. See if the tips in this link help.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/Issues/issues.html

Jon
Sonny Software
ehbarnet

Post by ehbarnet »

Yes, the document has about 20 images. I'm sure that's the problem! Thanks so much.
ehbarnet

Post by ehbarnet »

Hi,

I tried following the tips on the link, and after a lot of trial and error, I was finally able to create a bibliography! Removing the images shrunk the file down significantly (to about 300kb), but I still wasn't able to generate a bibliography. I tried converting all the footnotes to endnotes, copying those to a separate word file, and then scanning it, and that didn't work either. Finally, I converted the endnotes into a rtf, which I scanned from Bookends. Bookends successfully converted all my references, and - after 10-15+ minutes - created my bibliography!

Thank you!

Edward
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That really is too long. Please contact tech support (support@sonnysoftware.com) and send your library and the original document you're scanning. I'll try it here.

Jon
Sonny Software