Importing/Using a .bex file?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Importing/Using a .bex file?

Post by DrJJWMac »

How does one import/use a .bex file? The Bookends export file is mentioned in the manual under export but nowhere (that I can see) is it mentioned for import.

Alternatively ... I want to create a robust snapshot of a library database *sans* attachments. What should I do? Is the .bex file not the best option?
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Importing/Using a .bex file?

Post by Jon »

Either do an Import File and select Bookends as the source from the popup menu, or simply drop the .bex file on the library window.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

OK.

* I had to drag the .bex file visibly onto the library window ... my fault
* I did not see the Bookends option at the top of the listing ... my oversight

It works now. Perhaps the manual could document the advantage of exporting/importing a Bookends .bex file over all other options. This would be especially useful when the .bex file can be stored as archival snapshots of the library (for those who do a lot of mucking about and may need to recover to a previous stage in their workflow).
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This has been added to the Export References documentation on p. 312 for the next update.

(Export as ) Bookends—A proprietary format that exports the references with full style information. The file has the extension .bex, and can only be read by Bookends 12 or later. Such an export may be useful for operations such as merging libraries or making a text-only (proprietary) backup of one or all references in your library.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Thanks.
--
JJW