How do we view/manage a list of annotations on a PDF?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

How do we view/manage a list of annotations on a PDF?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I annotated a PDF using an off-line app (Highlights). I imported the PDF. I can see that the annotations are present in the updated PDF.

Page 116 of the manual says ...

If you have enabled *Use Annotation View for PDFs* in the Action pop-up, you can search, annotate, and markup PDFs, features that are covered in Working with PDFs.

--> The Action pop-up does not have this menu option.
--> The Preference settings do not have any equivalent toggle.

How do we obtain a list view of annotations that have been made in a PDF? I am after a comparable view to what can be seen in Bookends iOS (an icon to view Bookmarks, Annotations, Information, and Permissions).

Eventually I will want to export the annotations out (in this case as markdown to use in Obsidian). Is exporting annotations possible from Bookends, or must the export be done from a different app?
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How do we view/manage a list of annotations on a PDF?

Post by Jon »

It means exactly what it says: you can search in PDFs, add annotations, and markup PDFs, the same sorts of things the Preview does, for example. These options are either explicit (viz the search field) or available in the Action popup menu. Bookends can't search within annotations or export annotations, it can only do that for annotation metadata that has been imported into the Bookends database. You can of course view highlight and note contents in the note stream if you enabled Show Highlighted PDF Text as Notecards in the Action popup.

You'll have to use some other app if you want to deal globally with annotations.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Re: How do we view/manage a list of annotations on a PDF?

Post by DrJJWMac »

> You'll have to use some other app if you want to deal globally with annotations.

OK. This explanation is a bit clearer than the manual. I still don't know however where to find the setting that is supposed to enable or disable the *Use Annotation View for PDFs* setting.
--
JJW