Autofill City based on Publisher?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
marcus

Autofill City based on Publisher?

Post by marcus »

Hi all,

This might be more of a suggestion/feature request or a cry for help. If there is one thing I hate about citation conventions is how some formats require the city of the publisher. With big printing presses buying up small independent ones, I never really know what city they belong to anymore. Moreover, I HATE that google books does not import city information with the publisher.

Has anyone been able to automate this in anyway? Is there or can there be a way for Bookends to "remember" that Routledge is London or Duke University Press is in Durham, NC? Can this be done in anyway via scripting?

M
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Autofill City based on Publisher?

Post by Jon »

No. The best I can think of (and it's not great) is to tell Bookends to use a Term List for the Location field. Then you can use the Term List or just type a few characters and Bookends will autocomplete it for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Re: Autofill City based on Publisher?

Post by Dellu »

marcus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:06 am Hi all,

Has anyone been able to automate this in anyway? Is there or can there be a way for Bookends to "remember" that Routledge is London or Duke University Press is in Durham, NC? Can this be done in anyway via scripting?

M
Exactly. This is boring process that can be easily programmed.

What I am doing right now:
I don´t fill the City field for my book. I just leave it blank until my collection grows. Then, once in a while, I order my books by field publisher in the main window, then;
----> select all the books from one specific publisher---> use the Global Change-->Change Field-->insert the city to all of them.
I also have a Keyboard palette that keeps the list of publishers and Cities (to help my memory of the cities)

That is not as ideal as having a script that can automatically fill the city. But, it is better than manually inserting the city for each reference.

It would be great if the guys with scripting skills can help us here.