Autopopulate file tags from keywords?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Nomad93

Autopopulate file tags from keywords?

Post by Nomad93 »

I have only found one mention of this in the forums from a few years back, so I hope this is not repeating something that has already been explained.

So, my main question is: is there a way to, more or less automatically, autopopulate attachments PDF's tags from the keywords assigned within Bookends? Or do I need to do this manually, filling in the keywords and tags separately for any reference in the database? This concerns both references I already have in the database (not that many - around 500 for now) and any new ones I add to Bookends, which I have now started to use more heavily in my workflow.

The reason I'm asking is that while keywords are highly useful when working inside Bookends, my iCloud Drive attachment folder is indexed in DEVONThink 3. I also use Highlights on my iPad (less often on my iMac) to read and annotate the PDFs. Of course, neither DT3 not Highlights (or any other external software, for that matter) see in-Bookends keywords, but it would be great for them to sort/search the iCloud attachment folder by file tags.

If it can't be done, oh well, so be it (I'm definitely not going to abandon Bookends because of this), but perhaps there is a way I can save some time (I typically assign 3-5 keywords to each reference).

Thank you so much for any hints and help.
DrJJWMac

Re: Autopopulate file tags from keywords?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I am looking for help to create AppleScript code that can programmatically set tags. Once I have this, it may be possible to modify the code to use the keywords as tags.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't autoassign keywords to PDF tags, but maybe I can save you a few seconds of typing per tag. If you right click on the "enter tag" field a list of existing tags will popup. If the keyword has been assigned as a tag already, you can scroll to it by typing the first few letters and then add it. In the end this may or not save a bit of time.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nomad93

Post by Nomad93 »

Thank you! This makes it a bit easier!
Jon wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:06 am Bookends can't autoassign keywords to PDF tags, but maybe I can save you a few seconds of typing per tag. If you right click on the "enter tag" field a list of existing tags will popup. If the keyword has been assigned as a tag already, you can scroll to it by typing the first few letters and then add it. In the end this may or not save a bit of time.

Jon
Sonny Software