Clear live search field when changing groups?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Clear live search field when changing groups?

Post by Jon »

The current behavior is that the text in the live search field isn't cleared until the user initiates it. So when you change groups the same live search is performed on its contents.

A user has requested a change in this behavior. He would like the live search field to be cleared when a new group is selected, so it won't automatically be filtered by the live search text.

I'm leaning toward implementing this change in behavior, but before I did I thought I'd invite feedback from our users. So, which behavior would you prefer (and no, making it a preference option isn't won't happen)?

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Re: Clear live search field when changing groups?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I prefer the search field NOT be cleared when a group is changed. The friction can be significantly higher to have to retype the same search term(s) simply because one changes a group than it is to delete a live search term when one changes a group. Try clearing and retyping marangoni after clicking through three different groups.

I would wonder if this could be done instead. After typing the text and a return to initiate the search, the entire search term in the text field is selected? By example ...
BESearch.png
BESearch.png (33.96 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
Each time the group is changed with live search active, the focus returns back to the search field *until the user clicks an item in the return list from the search*.

In this way, a user can clear the search term either by clicking on the X (clear) button or by typing another carriage return or by immediately typing the new search term.
--
JJW
iandol

Post by iandol »

I also much prefer the current behaviour where I can live search and keep that "filter" as I switch through groups; I'd rather this was kept as it is, and I'd be fine with with JJWMac's selection tweak.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Please don't change this! I remember when you changed it years ago to the current behaviour – a big step forward.

I also recall that at the time you made that change you also added the behaviour that Option-clicking the group would clear the search field. I wonder if the user you have been discussing that with knows about that.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll leave the current behavior as is. I'll play around with having the live search text selected after a group changes to see if it causes any other issues, and if not I may implement that.

As for whether the user knows about Option-click on a group -- I'm sure he doesn't, because I completely forgot that myself! Thanks for reminding me.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

You're very welcome! Thank you for making such a great research tool, and for the constant refinements.