Is it possible to change the preceding sign of unique ID?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dullboy

Is it possible to change the preceding sign of unique ID?

Post by Dullboy »

The default format of citation is {Williamson, 1985, #43094}. Now I'm trying to change # with other signs, for example, {Williamson, 1985, $43094}. Is it possible? Thanks a lot.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to change the preceding sign of unique ID?

Post by Jon »

No, it's not. If you don't want to use a # in the temp citations for some reason, you can change the setting in preferences to cite by content, instead of author, date, unique id.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Thanks a lot for rely. Unique ID is more convenient than content. The problem is, "#" will cause compatible issues with some markdown editors. It would be nice if your team can consider this. Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In case you're in the biomedical sciences, you can also automatically cite by PMID (no need for #), and if you're not you could use a reference's DOI. You'd need to cite by a format in the latter case, in which case user 17 (u17) would be included in the citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

I've also used the BibTeX citekey which work great (if you have them set up in your library), and this has the added advantage that you can more easily convert between citations that BE can read [phillips2013] if you are forced to write in MS Word, to Markdown citations that Pandoc's excellent CSL toolset can utilise [@phillips2013] in Scrivener or other "superior" writing tools. I also think citekeys take less space while still allowing me to identify which paper I'm writing, e.g. [bidwell1897; jung1973; schiller1994; schiller1995].

I would ideally love it if BE could support scanning markdown temporary citations format directly, but the differences in the rules used (like how to exclude author names etc.) means it would require BE to use a separate scanning mode which would require substantial development and I suspect those of us who use markdown are but a small part of the BE userbase...