Word for Mac 2019 - unscan issue

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dr.cox

Word for Mac 2019 - unscan issue

Post by dr.cox »

Dear Forum,

recently I have accidentally scanned a word doc in APA format. Unscanned and rescanned in the correct format. For reasons unbeknown to me, it did not unscan completely which I only realize now. And thus, two citation styles co-exist APA and Vancouver. Unscanning now only unscans part of the citations but not the others. (no unscanned copy exists... I never mess up like this but this time I did). I would have to re-do about 100 citations.

Any chance to fix this? (this is bad at that point but not as bad as part two):

I have a further work done from this faulty doc and when unscanning on the further along doc, unscanning now chops in in half and deletes half of it.

Bookends always was quirky but served me well and I like artisanal software. This, however, causes me a lot of pain and teaches me to never trust anything. But help would be appreciated.
iandol

Re: Word for Mac 2019 - unscan issue

Post by iandol »

I'm sure Jon will have more useful support, but in the meantime, you can see the raw temporary citation text toggling the field codes using the context menu, that shows you the original temp-citation content:
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 09.05.43.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 09.05.43.png (20.1 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
What do the field codes for different citations show?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

iandol makes a good suggestion.

In fact, do the citations that weren't removed actually highlight in grey, indicating that they have hidden information at all?

You can send the document to support@sonnysoftware.com and I'll take a look at it. Point me to a citation that's not removed with unscan.

Jon
Sonny Software
dr.cox

Post by dr.cox »

Hi guys and thanks for the input,

the culprits were all still containing useful information showing the grey color effect. For whatever reason, I think some formatting was done, as my track changes feature revealed (when showing all changes) some format adjustment by "unkown"..... I had to switch word versions while working the doc some months ago. maybe that's it? I then managed to decline all changes and was able to save most refs. some I had to redo. not quite satisfactory but does for now.

If it helps you for R&D purposes I can still forward it to you, Jon?!

For now, have a great day.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, it's certainly possible that the hidden fields were affected somehow by changes in Word. I'd still like to see the document, so please do send it to me. And point me to a citation that's not unscanning.

Thanks,

Jon
Sonny Software