Citing literature in different languages

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Maximus

Citing literature in different languages

Post by Maximus »

I wonder to ask Jon and the community.
If your database includes references in different languages, you have to style your links differently. (p. for pages in English, S. for pages in German, different terms for "Editors" and so on).
How can you deal with it?

To create different format style for each language doesn't seem to be a decision. Because we cannot apply them to one database. (am I right?)

I have no idea what to do.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citing literature in different languages

Post by Jon »

That's right. In the case of cited pages, however, there is an easy workaround. You can substitute any leading text for whatever is used in the format. For example, say the format is set up to use

, p

for cited pages, and you want the German equivalent. Instead of

{temp cite@123}

use

{temp cite@\S. \123

So, set the default in the format to whatever language you use most, then override it as needed in specific cases.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Maximus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:30 am (p. for pages in English, S. for pages in German, different terms for "Editors" and so on).
How can you deal with it?
If your paper, book (or whatever) is to be published in other languages than English, you need a special format for each language.

To create a new language specific format, do the following:

1. Open Formats Manager and select a format of your choice.
2. Duplicate the format by clicking on the "+" sign in the lover left corner of the window and chose 'Replicate all Types' from the dropdown menu
3. Right-click on the new format in the window's left column and select Show "your format name" in Finder.
4. In Finder, add the language name to the format name, for example, "MLA 8th, my GERMAN".
5. Now quit and relaunch Bookends in order see the new format with the new name. Make sure it's activated by ticking the right box.

6. Now you have to change the names or the abbreviations for: page, editor, vols, translator, edition, this edition first, original edition, first published; and perhaps a few things more. You'll have to do this with all the Reference Types of the format (book, journal article, book chapter, etc.) This is not difficult, because all you have to do is to replace the English names with names in the language you want to publish in.

7. You may also need to adjust or create a few new language specific Reference Types for the new format. An example: if you are writing in German and want to cite a chapter of a book written by a male author, you would use the Reference Type "Book chapter" after having added "In ders." into the format. However, if the author is a woman, you should create a new Reference Type and name it "Book chapter WEIBLICH". To comply with common German usage and indicate that the author is a woman, this Reference Type should contain "In dies." instead of "In ders."

If this was not clear, please don't hesitate to ask again.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Apologize for delay in answering.
Jon and Philologist, thank you for your help!
Jon wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:45 am
So, set the default in the format to whatever language you use most, then override it as needed in specific cases.
Can you recommend how to override a text preceding Editor's field?

Philologist wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:12 am To create a new language specific format, do the following
I meant a project which contains of literature both in English and German and some other languages.
Could you recommend how to use Bookends in that case?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For editors the only solution I can think of is using a field to store the value you want.

In this case, you'd put the various possibilities in a field (e.g. User1) and in the format use that:

{user1 e}

And in the user1 field enter

ed
hrsg
etc.

You get the idea.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Maximus wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:18 pm I meant a project which contains of literature both in English and German and some other languages.
Could you recommend how to use Bookends in that case?
I'm afraid I don't understand your problem anymore. So before I go into more detail, let's make a few things clear first.

1) In what language is your project?

2) What Style Format are you using? Is it a predefined one (like APA or MLA) or a custom format?

3) Please post the field order for your Reference Type "Book" (so I can use it as an example and localize it for you.)