Bookends keeps attaching new PDF to existing reference

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends keeps attaching new PDF to existing reference

Post by Jon »

The solution isn't to add more complexity but to figure out the problem.

1. If you add the same PDF repeatedly, is it consistently attached to the wrong reference.

2. If you avoid the watch folder and use the normal mechanism for adding PDFs (drag and drop) does the same problem happen.

BTW, you really should be dealing with tech support directly, the forum is not where support and debugging should be taking place.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

Jon
Sonny Software
livin1965

Post by livin1965 »

Jon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:28 am The solution isn't to add more complexity but to figure out the problem.

1. If you add the same PDF repeatedly, is it consistently attached to the wrong reference.

2. If you avoid the watch folder and use the normal mechanism for adding PDFs (drag and drop) does the same problem happen.

BTW, you really should be dealing with tech support directly, the forum is not where support and debugging should be taking place.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

Jon
Sonny Software
Answers:

1. Yes

2. Sort of. If I drag and drop, it will tell me that the reference is the same one that it was erroneously attached to previously (from which I detached it prior to the drag and drop). It will also try to rename it with the wrong author and title. I have to manually uncheck the renaming it suggests (second box) and check only to create a new reference (third box) on the import window. When I do that, it correctly identifies all the info and imports to a new reference properly. So, the info it needs to correctly identify the reference is clearly in the file itself, but in these cases, Bookends is not doing so unless I specifically instruct it to make a new reference.
nh220

Post by nh220 »

Resurrecting this thread as I started experiencing this problem in the last two days. This is with Bookends 14.02 and Monterey. I am not using the Watch Folder but manually dropping PDFs into the library. This happens with several different PDFs and with different references selected in the library. I do have a kind of complicated folder structure in the Bookends folder on iCloud Drive in case that matters.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Have you tried Rebuilding the library?

Jon
Sonny Software
nh220

Post by nh220 »

Jon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:28 pm Have you tried Rebuilding the library?

Jon
Sonny Software
Yes, and the problem persists.
nh220

Post by nh220 »

I did some troubleshooting, or attempted to. Following suggestions above, I created a new library. Copied a coupe of references from the old library to ensure that the new library had something in it. Tried to add two different PDFs as new references. In both cases, they attached to the selected one. I then deleted the references in the new library (so that it is empty) and tried adding the PDFs again. The dialog box pops up, but nothing gets added.

I tried to reinstall Bookends and the problem remains.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact support@sonnysoftware.com.

And send the following:

1. A library file that shows this problem. Maybe the new one you created where the PDF isn't added.
2. A series of screen snaps that show what you're doing and the unexpected result (including any dialogs you see)
3. A PDF that gives you this problem.

The only way to try to get at the problem you're having is for me to reproduce it. Since everything works here, of course, I have to see if there's some specific file or sequence of events that are responsible.

Jon
Sonny Software
nh220

Post by nh220 »

Ok just sent. There are no error messages but I included screenshots of the empty library and the add dialog box.