In-text citation in German

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Julian

In-text citation in German

Post by Julian »

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone could help me solving an issue with an in-text citation in German. If I insert an in-text citation that has two authors in my document, it appears as "AuthorA and AuthorB, YearC". As I am writing in German, I would like to change the automatically generated "and" to an "und". In the Formats Manager I couldn't find any solution.
Thanks in advance!
Julian
Jon
Site Admin

Re: In-text citation in German

Post by Jon »

Note: I read your question as referring to the temp citation, not the scanned final citation, and that's what I'm responding to. If you mean you want "und" in the final citation, that's easy, just clarify in a followup post.

Do you really care for the temp citation? It's going to be replaced after a scan with the real thing (where you can have "und" used instead of "and")?

But if it matters to you, you can create a format that will be used to create the temp citation (and specify it in preferences). But if you do, you'll have to include the unique ID in the temp citation, since Bookends will otherwise think that the word "und" is in the reference. It may indeed be, since it's very common, but it might not be.

So you'd want the final citation to look like

{AuthorA und AuthorB, YearC, #1234234}

Again, I advise you to use the defaults Bookends provides, but know that you can indeed create your own temp citations.

Jon
Sonny Software
Julian

Post by Julian »

Hi Jon,
thanks a lot for the quick response. Sorry for being not sufficiently clear. To me, it doesn't matter what the temp citation looks like, I care about the scanned final citation - so this is what I was referring to. I'm happy that there is an easy solution for changing the "and" to an "und" in the final citation. I'm looking forward to your answer!
Thanks again,
Julian
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Go to the format in the Format Manager. Assuming the it is an author-date (as opposed to custom) format, click on the Citation Options tab and enter

" und "

(without the quote marks) in the field "Separate two authors with".

Jon
Sonny Software
Julian

Post by Julian »

Thanks Jon. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem. When I enter "und" right there and update my bibliography, Bookends will change every citation with two authors to an "und". Instead, I need two different solution for the citations in the text:

1. A regular citation with authors and year in brackets like: "Text text text text (AuthorA & Author B, Year)." Here, I need the sign "&" between the two authors.
2. An in-text citation, just with the year in brackets, like: "AuthorA und AuthorB (Year) text text text,...". Here I need the "und" between the two authors. I use "^" as the opening delimiter of the in-text citation.

Thanks again.

Julian
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's not possible. But it's simple enough to do this yourself. Instead of using the convenience function ^ (telling Bookends to put the authors before the citation), type them yourself (it's just text in the end, anyway). And cite just the date, like this

AuthorA und AuthorB {%temp cite}

Jon
Sonny Software