Adding cited references to hits list

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
roger

Adding cited references to hits list

Post by roger »

Something I would find useful is a means of identifying all the references that are cited in a particular document. What I have in mind is starting with a file containing a load of citations of references in Bookends, scanning that document and have bookends add all the references it finds to the Hits list so that I can then, for example, add a keyword to them all, or put them all in a new static group.

Why might this be useful? (1) It would provided a record of which references I have used. (2) It could be useful for correcting errors in the references I cite, because I would know which ones I need to check, without having to search for them individually in the entire database. Of course, it would be better not to make mistakes when entering data, but I am human and do make mistakes that I notice only when I scan a document and view the created bibliography. Instead of correcting the errors in MS Word, which is the quickest method, it would be better to go back to Bookends, correct all the errors and then scan another copy of the document. (3) Another reason it that it would be useful if I want to prune my database of references that are no longer needed, perhaps moving them to a separate database. For example, I am working on volume II of a project, and there could be merit in selecting all references cited in volume 1 (which is completely finished) but not in volume 2, and moving them to a separate database. Or, because of the nature of my project, selecting all references with a publication date before 1945 that have not been cited in the current project, and exporting them to another database.

Maybe there is a way to do this, but I cannot see it. I have no idea whether anyone else would find this useful.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Adding cited references to hits list

Post by Jon »

Bookends already does this. After a scan, all the references cited in the paper are in the hits list (in the order in which they were found in the document).

Jon
Sonny Software