Zotero is to Bookends, as Evernote is for DEvonthink

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dellu

Re: Zotero is to Bookends, as Evernote is for DEvonthink

Post by Dellu »

iandol wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:18 am Ok thanks. The developer info is here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators — as this all is open-source, it would be technically possible to run these javascript translators using a third-party tool triggered from Bookends and import the data.
That would be great. But, even with the current indirect method, it is saving me from a lot of hectic labor work of downloading every article individually, and then getting references to it. Now, it is just a matter of a couple of seconds to get tens of articles into your library. Indeed, it is wonderful tool.
DrJJWMac

Re: Zotero is to Bookends, as Evernote is for DEvonthink

Post by DrJJWMac »

> I don't have an iPad, so what's the advantage of reading them on an iPad rather on a Mac with PDF Expert, PDFpenPro or Skim?
What apps do you use to take notes, highlight text, etc. when you read a PDF on an iPad?

Portability, form factor, and the experience of working near pen on paper when annotating. I can sit in a comfortable chair with my iPad held as a book and mark with the Pencil2. I annotate directly in Bookends. IMO, the ease to annotate and the ability to store libraries individually are the true gems of Bookends iPadOS. Indeed, any more, I absolutely refuse to do annotations or markups on my desktop/portable macOS system. I use PDFExpert on my iPad for any type of annotations/markup not associated with citation documents.

> Papers has the same RTF-scan limitation ... and Mendeley is also ... only for MS Word ...

I don't scan. My limitations with Papers compared with Bookends are that it is not viable to interface as easily in the macOS ecosystem (i.e. via AppleScript), that using it would require me to cart around my entire library just to read or work on a few sources, and that its annotation tools are limited. That said, Papers has a more intuitive UI/UX than Bookends (on the desktop version). I use Mendeley only because I have to collaborate (share citation resources) with folks who use Windows. As an early adopter way back when, I have something akin to twice the normal storage limit still carrying on my account.
--
JJW