Two fields with different formatting of authors

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Maximus

Two fields with different formatting of authors

Post by Maximus »

Hello!
In the style I am using, the author should be quoted like this:

Rougemont G. Inscriptions grecques d'Iran et d'Asie centrale (Corpus Inscriptionum Iranicarum) / G. Rougemont. - London, 2012.

(Last name First name and then First name Last name).

I copied all the values ​​of the Author field into a user field.
I don’t know what to do next, so as not to redo the order of names manually.
Is it possible to make it so that in one field the author's name is indicated as for instance Keynes J.M., and in the other it is automatically converted to J.M. Keynes?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Two fields with different formatting of authors

Post by Jon »

The first mention of Rougemont is, I assume, taken from the authors field.

The second is from...where? It looks like it's from some other field (e.g. a user field, as you mention). In that case, it will be output as entered in that field. *Unless* you follow that field in the format with a *, which tells Bookends it contains a name. Like

u1*

if the name is in the field User1. Now Bookends will rearrange the name according to the "Others like" setting in the format.

Jon
Sonny Software
Maximus

Re: Two fields with different formatting of authors

Post by Maximus »

Thank you.

I managed to solve the problem using Editors and "Others like" fields.
Perhaps it will be useful for someone: if the author must be present in the line in two different formats (last name first name; first name last name), you should create a custom field, copy author field into it, in the format manager add * after user field you use. Then choose a format option in Editor field. In "Others like" field choose Editors. (see the attached picture)
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2021-11-09 в 18.09.45.png
Снимок экрана 2021-11-09 в 18.09.45.png (191.27 KiB) Viewed 3000 times