Duplicates after importing pdfs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
vinschger

Duplicates after importing pdfs

Post by vinschger »

Dear Bookends users

I know that bookends has a cool feature to detect duplicates. I also know, that by importing a pdf, a duplicate may be generated if the item is already in my bookends repository. How do you avoid generating such duplicates? Or do you not bother? Or do you regularly check for such duplicates? Otherwise it may happen that while writing a manuscript you cite both duplicates, and then they appear twice in the bibliography...

(or would it be an appropriate feature request/suggestion that bookends warns the user before generating a duplicate while importing a pdf that already exists in the library?)

Best wishes and thanks for your feedback in advance...
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Duplicates after importing pdfs

Post by Jon »

If the PDF has a unique identifier, like a DOI, Bookends already tells you that the reference exists in the library when you drop it on the library window to attach. If there's no unique identifier Bookends doesn't know that you already have it.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

dear Jon, do you know where in the meta-data of the pdf file the DOI can be found. Then I could insert it there if not existing, before importing... does Bookends open an autocomplete window when importint a pdf without a DOI, so that it can be assigned manually before importing/duplicate generation (and if the item is already in the library, a warning message could appear: "this item is already in your library").
Best wishes
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The DOI isn't in the PDF metadata, it's in the PDF text.

Jon
Sonny Software