Great update of reference pane in 14.0.4

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rwg

Re: Great update of reference pane in 14.0.4

Post by rwg »

I'm just grateful that there will be the ability to turn off the hints. I might use borders if the option was there, but since the possibility of such a feature had never occurred to me, I would be just as happy without them if they add extra complexity to your code.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Personally I would turn off hints and borders if this was configurable (I consider both of these GUI "noise", it doesn't help me but only increases UI complexity), and be perfectly happy if this wasn't configurable. I think you could have hints optional, and not implement the border...
tharpold

Post by tharpold »

I would like the option to turn off the “hint text” when not in dark mode, which I rarely use. Options for reinforcing the boundaries of the fields so that the user can see where she's tabbing or pasting into would be fine.

I'm running the latest version of Bookends (14.0.5), and I've downloaded the latest silent update, but I keep running into a problem that a few others have noted as well.

When I'm typing information in the Reference record, most of the time I can tab between hinted fields without also confirming the hint (“Editors”, “Journal”, “Date”, etc.) as my intended entry, other times I can't, and the hint text becomes a part of the reference record, which is obviously a problem. The glitch is inconsistent and I haven't been able to identify the conditions under which it happens. But it happens fairly often and really short-circuits my workflow. For me, this feature is far more trouble than it's worth. :-(
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Are you using the standalone editing window? I've just identified and fixed bugs that will cause what you see.

If you are, for now please go to Preferences and tell Bookends to use the integrated edit pane.

Jon
Sonny Software
rwg

Post by rwg »

I have just noticed that with the recent changes to the reference pane it no longer seems possible to drag text from one field to another. Would it be possible to have this fixed?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the heads up. This will be restored in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
joao

Post by joao »

tharpold wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:56 am When I'm typing information in the Reference record, most of the time I can tab between hinted fields without also confirming the hint (“Editors”, “Journal”, “Date”, etc.) as my intended entry, other times I can't, and the hint text becomes a part of the reference record, which is obviously a problem.
I can confirm this happening in the integrated pane (but quite rare). Another thing that happens is when I add a new reference, it will take the author of the previously selected reference and use it for the new reference (less rare). It's not easily reproducible though. There seems to be some steps that need to happen when playing with the integrated reference pane for these things to happen.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This is with 14.0.6? We made improvements in this area in this update.

Jon
Sonny Software
joao

Post by joao »

The second issue (taking the author of the previous selected reference and using it when creating a new reference) is in 14.0.6. The original issue i haven't noticed since the update. But it is quite rare. I'll update if i see any of the two issues happen again.

Edit: I can confirm that the second issue still occurs in 14.0.6. I can't reproduce it on demand, but it certainly happens once in a while.