Great update of reference pane in 14.0.4

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
martinjp

Re: Great update of reference pane in 14.0.4

Post by martinjp »

If you do a new install, Vol (Issue) is Volume (Issue), and it fits exactly that space. And of course we have other users commenting on this forum who have complained it's not wide enough to accommodate their edited labels. YCPE.
Could the space adjust to fit the largest label?
There are 8 pixels between fields (vertically). Could it be 6? Probably. Would it look cramped? Maybe. How many pixels do you want?
6 please. Or less.
All fields are expanded or contracted, it can't be done per field.
Pity. Because those fields are narrow they are also often long, making scrolling necessary.
Some people like seeing their notes on the first tab, but editing them (if they are long) on the second tab. If you don't want to see the notes in the first tab, uncheck "Show Notes On Main Tab" in Preferences.
I'm happy to *see* the notes on the first tab. My point was the number of different ways of seeing them: on the first tab, on the second tab as standard text, as editable notes from the notes icon, and in the summary.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Adjust to fit the largest label? I'll have to think about that.

I have to reiterate that you seem to be using the edit pane for reading the metadata, which is not what it's intended for (it's the *edit* pane). The Summary tab is for reading, and it's almost infinitely flexible. You can get almost any display you want -- you can even create a format to create one if the design tools we provide in preferences aren't sufficient. And even in the Summary view you can correct text if you want. It's ingrained in long time users, but if you edit the Summary view to your taste you may find it the best way to view reference metadata.

As for multiple way to access your notes, you make it sound like this flexibility is a bad thing. Do you really believe that? For many people, notes are the heart of Bookends. Access them as you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

I am using the Summary tab to read the metadata. I've modified its format to focus on what I'm most interested in: the notes and the abstract. And I applaud your goal of simplifying the Edit tab. What I am grumbling about, hopefully not too obnoxiously, is that I am finding the Edit tab more complex to use rather than less, because I am having to scroll vertically to get to the fields I need to access. And this is after changing the order of fields to suit me. For me, this horizontal format pushes important fields off the bottom of the window. Partly that's because I generally copy the article abstract into the Abstract field, which now takes up a lot more space than it used to.

On the issue of access to Notes, flexibility is of course good. Redundancy is debatable, especially when space is at a premium. For example, the three tab buttons at the top could be replaced by five icons at the bottom, in place of the current three. That would gain a bit more vertical space.

So that's my 2 cents. I will now yield the floor... :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for you feedback (really). If you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll see we discussed placing labels over the fields (a vertical display), which would make fields broader. But if would also double the height of one-link fields (or empty fields). The overwhelming consensus was to use the arrangement we have today. But having noted that, I'll see if I can improve some issues you brought up in the next update. You've given me some ideas...

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've implemented some of these suggestions for the next update. I suspect you'll still grumble, but perhaps not quite as much -- the use of space is definitely improved.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

I appreciate your tolerance of my grumbling. A pandemic doesn't bring out the best in me. :?

A small correction (of myself): I realized that the three tab buttons at the top could be eliminated with only one extra icon at the bottom: Main reference, Note stream, Summary, and Attachments. If you want to pursue that route.

I'll wait patiently for the next update. :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, you would also need a note icon (the note field and the note stream are two different things). In any case, I don't plan on changing the tabs, there are other changes.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

Here's part of the problem. When there are many authors, even when the Author field is minimized it can take up a quarter of the available space in the Edit tab...
Attachments
authors.png
authors.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've made some improvements in the next update, which should make it a bit better. And there are possibly others that may be implemented in the future. But the basic design isn't changing. And frankly, if you're using the summary pane to read the metadata as I advised, who cares? You enter the data in this view (or more likely, import it) and never touch it again.

Jon
Sonny Software
rwg

Post by rwg »

Jon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:47 pm Well, I had one very upset person write to me about how horrible it was to not have some visual guides, just a lot of empty space. And looking back, both Papers and Sente used hints as well (EndNote has gray boxed empty fields, which work too, but I think are less elegant). I suggest you evaluate the UI again after the next update is released. I've gotten used to the hints and actually like them. I could make them a lighter gray if people think they catch the eye too much. YCPE (you can't please everyone).
My problem with the hints is that if one tabs into an empty field (which selects the hint) and then pastes some text into that field, the hint remains after the pasted text and one has to delete it manually. Is this the intended behaviour? Or are other users not seeing this behaviour?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This is definitely not the intended behavior. Please download 14.0.5 again (there were some minor tweaks made in a silent update). If it still happens, please contact tech support at support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
rwg

Post by rwg »

I see now that this happens only when I invoke my clipboard manager, which results in the hint being deselected, and so the hint ends up being left after the pasted text. It would be extremely helpful if the hints could be turned off in the preferences.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'll think about that.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'll be adding the ability to turn off hints in the next update. I've also experimented with field outlines. If they were implemented, it would be possible to offer 4 different styles for unselected fields: nothing, hints, outlines, and hints plus outlines. Before doing that, though, I want to get feedback about allowing outlines. Is it worth the bother? Or does it just add more complexity (to the UI of both the edit pane and preferences) and just introduce another place where bugs could be introduced? Here is what the outline would look like, followed by hints plus outline:

Jon
Sonny Software
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.26.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.26.53 AM.png (126.04 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.27.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.27.02 AM.png (161.97 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

If you offer a preference with the four options that you mentioned, you have covered all the bases. If adding such a "feature" adds complexity to your code management, not having it is the better choice IMO.

Personally, my settings will be to have no hints and most likely also no borders.
--
JJW