pdf attachment problems

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
robert

pdf attachment problems

Post by robert »

hi

i am having trouble viewing some pdf files that are attached to my database. all of them will attach fine. But some of them will be displayed when clicking on them in bookends others not. there is no error message, they just simply dont display.
haven't found a pattern. no special characters in the file names.

any ideas?

btw. i have just installed adobe reader7.0. but file association doesn't seem to make a difference either.
i tried using a new db, tried rebuild.

any ideas?

thnx

robert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Robert,

Hm, first I've heard of this type of problem. If you re-attach the same file, does it display then? FYI, Bookends Preferences holds the aliases of any folders you have attachments in. If you aren't using the default Bookends Attachments Folder, these aliases are used to locate the file. If Preferences goes bad, you might have problems with some, but not all, attachments.

You can remove Bookends Preferences and relaunch Bookends. You'll need your serial number handy. Also, you will have to re-attach *one* file for *each* folder you have attachments in (to create the alias).

Let us know if this fixes things.

Jon
Sonny Software
robert

Post by robert »

Jon wrote:Hi Robert,

Hm, first I've heard of this type of problem. If you re-attach the same file, does it display then?
Nope. Tried that.
You can remove Bookends Preferences and relaunch Bookends. You'll need your serial number handy. Also, you will have to re-attach *one* file for *each* folder you have attachments in (to create the alias).
Hm, didn't help either.

I tried attaching one of the "problem-files" on a different mac. Didn't work there either. So it shouldn't be a preference thing.
One thing both macs have in common is that they both have adobe reader installed.

Do you want me to mail you one of the pdf files in question?

Greetz

robert
[/quote]
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Do you want me to mail you one of the pdf files in question?
Yes, please. Zip/Stuffit it if it is large.

Jon
Sonny Software
robert

Problem solved

Post by robert »

OK, i think i know what the problem is:

The PDF is an article that was viewed inside safari with the adobe reader safari plug in and then saved to disk from there.

I tried dowloading the same article again, this time directly saving it to disk from safari without veiwing it first.

Voila, now it's no problem. It works fine. Same article, same size, It seems as if adobe reader changes something within the file (or the atrributes?) that keeps bookends from displaying the pdf.

BTW the File was shown flawlessly with normal mac os x preview function as well as with adobe reader in both cases. but bookends uses quicktime for displaying the pdf right? Maybe quicktime can't handle the pdfs that went through adobe reader...

I am going to mail the file to you anyway

robert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I got the file, thanks.

I dragged and dropped it on a database to attach. Then I clicked on the Attach button and it opened in Bookends (which does use QuickTime to render pdfs). I then clicked on Attach with the Shift key held down, and the pdf opened in Preview.

I don't know why you had a problem with this file. There is nothing magic that saving via a browser plug-in does that I'm aware of. But at least as it is here, this pdf works with Bookends. If you reattach this file (which is one that I assume gave you trouble) does it now work? My guess is it will, but let me know if it doesn't.

Jon
Sonny Software