How to obtain [@citekey] from floating citation function?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
postdoctoral

How to obtain [@citekey] from floating citation function?

Post by postdoctoral »

I apologize in advance if this is right under my nose.

I would like to obtain the output [@citekey] from the floating citation window. I cannot figure out how. On iPadOS, this happens seamlessly when I select "copy citation" in BE and paste in a markdown document. On the Mac, I don't seem to be able to get the same behavior when I invoke the floating citation window, select CMD+Y, and then CMD+V in a document.

Right now I have "Floating Citations" selected. Citation delimiters is set to "[]" and I also have "Enable BibTex for References" enabled, with the ""Copy Citation" copies Key Field" option selected. I have "@" in "Precede with". Somehow, this currently outputs the naked "citekey" without either [] or @ .... ?!?
Any help appreciated... TIA!
iandol

Re: How to obtain [@citekey] from floating citation function?

Post by iandol »

The other bit of the puzzle you are missing is creating a Pandoc/Markdown Biblio format using $@$u1:
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 22.55.16.png
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 22.55.16.png (59.43 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Then use that Pandoc.fmt in the Prefs Scan & Bib settings:
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 22.55.56_SMALL.png
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 22.55.56_SMALL.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Then you will get a [@citekey] reference. Here is a slightly more detailed post detailing this:

https://www.rousette.org.uk/archives/bo ... nd-pandoc/
postdoctoral

Post by postdoctoral »

oh wow. Thanks so much -- you're always so helpful! That worked right away. The only puzzling thing is why on earth the iPad knew what to do all along with hardly any telling (just selected "bibtex" as the export format and that's it) when on the Mac such a convoluted route has to be taken... But I'm glad it works. Pandoc.fmt for the win.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Personally I think Pandoc/Markdown is becoming more common for academic content[1], and macOS Bookends could consider refactoring the temp citation settings to offer Pandoc citations as a "built-in" option. IIRC Papers and/or Sente offered this in the past. Nevertheless, it is important to point out that, because Bookends can utilise the format manager for temp citations, though it is somewhat convoluted, it is far more flexible than any other pre-baked setting 8)

- - - -
[1] slightly off-topic, but a great example is the recently released Quarto: https://quarto.org — taking the power of Pandoc and wrapping in flexible filters and great formatting templates to generate flexible and beautiful content.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

It would be interesting if Word (docx) files could be scanned using Pandoc's Syntax. As it is right now, I can use the Bibkeys to cite the references, but I have to use a latexier syntax such as {Long2001@10} instead of Pandoc's [@Long2001, p.10]. Not such a big difference, though. And I am just happy that is also an option, at any rate.