Glitch with hint text when changing reference type

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tharpold

Glitch with hint text when changing reference type

Post by tharpold »

Thanks, Jon, for adding the "Show hints in edit fields" checkbox to the "Refs" preference tab. I much prefer to have the hints hidden and have unchecked the box. However, there's a glitch in how this is implemented in BE 14.0.6. I'm running macOS 12.2.1 and I work in Light Mode.

I often add records to my BE database manually, that is, by typing in the new citation information rather than downloading it from an online source. My default citation type is "Journal article," so if I open up a "New Reference" BE defaults to that, and the hints in the edit field do not show, as per the preference setting. But if I change the Reference type to, say, "Book" (because I'm adding a new book to the database, but this glitch also happens if I make any similar change to the reference type), the hint text now *shows* in all the fields, as apparently normal text, before I've made any entry of information. Only the fields in which I actually add new information are recorded when I close out the new reference window, but the sudden appearance of the hint text (in normal black-on-white) is disconcerting and, I believe, not what should happen in the scenario.

TH
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Glitch with hint text when changing reference type

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the report. I'll fix it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This has been fixed for the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
tharpold

Post by tharpold »

Thanks, Jon!