Cleaning up blank lines in Journal field

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
lyndondrake

Cleaning up blank lines in Journal field

Post by lyndondrake »

Hi,

I'm trying to tidy up my references. Quite a few of them at import from online sources ended up with a field like this:

Code: Select all

Journal of Biblical Literature
JBL
This is fine in one sense because the

JBL
abbreviation shows up as a separate term in the Journal term list. I can then delete

JBL
from the term list, and it magically disappears from all the references where it appears. That part is great.

But I'm then left with a blank line, which messes up the export in two ways: all my BibTeX entries have an extra line in the journal field, and the glossary no longer matches to produce the short journal field.

What's the best way to get rid of the extra blank lines?
lyndondrake

Re: Cleaning up blank lines in Journal field

Post by lyndondrake »

Actually I think I've figured out a way to do this: I search for all the Journal Articles with the appropriate Journal name, and then use the Refs –> Global Change –> Regularize Journal Name on the Hits list.

I don't feel comfortable doing it on all the journal articles just yet with a few thousand refs in my library but if I get a bit more confident with it I might do that.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

One thing you could do is make a COPY of your library and work on that. If everything goes well, archive the original and in the Finder rename the library to the original and continue using it. Or simply use the copy without renaming it.

Jon
Sonny Software
lyndondrake

Post by lyndondrake »

Good call. I'll do that.