Importing search results from Pub Med, Google Scholar and Scopus

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sjones

Importing search results from Pub Med, Google Scholar and Scopus

Post by sjones »

Hello,

Has anyone imported search results from Pub Med, Google Scholar or Scopus data bases? I'm able to import from EBSCO (i.e., Medline, Sports Discus). I am about to start work on a systematic review, so it would be mush easier to keep a single library using Bookends.

Thanks in advance,
sjones
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Importing search results from Pub Med, Google Scholar and Scopus

Post by Jon »

How are you searching/importing? Direct online search or Bookends Browser. Bookends doesn't have a direct search for Scopus, but it does for the others. PubMed is generally the best source of reference metadata.

Jon
Sonny Software
sjones

Post by sjones »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

I searched using the Bookends browser for both PubMed and Google Scholar. PubMed had a smaller number of hits on Bookends vs using PubMed directly, this isn't too much of a problem the search result was only small so doing by hand will be fine. The issue I'm having is with Google Scholar since, I can only seem to import 200 references, but I have around 1160(ish).

Importing literature searches directly from their own platform (i.e., not using the Bookends Browser) I usually do:

For example EBSCO data bases Medline etc...
1. Export RIS format
2. Download and save the RIS exported file to desk top
Bookends
3. Select 'import references'
4. Select 'file or clipboard'
5. Make sure RIS.flter is checked
6. Select RIS file from desktop

If there is a way to import directly from PubMed and Google Scholar, that would be great to know.

Best wishes,
sjones.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is. In Bookends Browser a little downward arrow appears in the top right if Bookends finds metadata it can download. Click it, then check the reference(s) you want to download and import.

For Google Scholar, you can also customize the display so that you see an Import To Bookends link in Bookends Browser next to each reference. Please see the User Guide (Help menu) about how to configure GS to show that.

Jon
Sonny Software
sjones

Post by sjones »

Cheers Jon!