Best practices for transferring BE and library/settings etc. to new Mac?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cassady

Best practices for transferring BE and library/settings etc. to new Mac?

Post by Cassady »

Hi!

As per the title, anything specific to keep in mind in terms of getting up and running on a new MBP?
I do use the iPad version, which syncs via bonjour(?).

All attachments are in a specific folder on my old MBP.

So apart from copying that folder over — what else would I need to copy to try and recreate the same setup on the new MBP?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Best practices for transferring BE and library/settings etc. to new Mac?

Post by Jon »

You can copy the Bookends folder in Application Support to the new Mac, which will also bring most of your preferences. The two that you should reset are the database cache (assuming you changed it from the default) and deleting any ad hoc attachment folders. Since you're on a new Mac, any such folders won't work, so you might as well delete them and let Bookends create new ones if you attach files and don't have them moved to the default folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:56 am You can copy the Bookends folder in Application Support to the new Mac, which will also bring most of your preferences. The two that you should reset are the database cache (assuming you changed it from the default) and deleting any ad hoc attachment folders. Since you're on a new Mac, any such folders won't work, so you might as well delete them and let Bookends create new ones if you attach files and don't have them moved to the default folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks Jon – so copy the folder from Application Support in the old Mac, and paste/replace its contents over in the same folder of the new Mac, correct?

Not sure how to how I would "reset" the "database cache"? Where/what is this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, but be aware that the default location for your libraries is in the Bookends folder, too. So IF you have created a new library or worked on your old library on your new Mac, DO NOT replace the library. My initial reply assumes you haven't used Bookends on the new Mac yet.

If you don't know where that setting is you never changed it, so don't worry about it. For anyone reading this, it's a setting in preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Correct, BE simply installed on new Mac, never been used as of yet. So will do as suggested. Many thanks.