Bookends quit unexpectedly in Monterey

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
smarcopolo

Bookends quit unexpectedly in Monterey

Post by smarcopolo »

After macOS upgrade from Catalina to Monterey (12.3.1) Bookends quits repeatedly and unexpectedly. When next run again it asks whether it is OK to use the same database (there are journal files waiting to be processed). There is no other apparent damage. The last work I was doing is retained. When I search for crash files in system logs I don't find anything. (What information exactly might be found to help troubleshoot the problem?)

Several times daily: "Bookends quit unexpectedly when last run"
Bookends 14.0.7 was in place before macOS was upgraded directly from Catalina to Monterey. (I had too many problems with Big Sur in the past.)
Since this macOS upgrade, I have re-installed Bookends twice, replacing the installed version (not removing before a new install).

The database has been copied and rebuilt without problems (over 18,000 references).
Verify normalized more unicode and re-indexed (some problems were found even after Rebuild).

This problem seems to occur when idle. When Bookends is left for a while to do something else, or when the computer sleeps, surprise, it's not there any more. It has not crashed when I'm actually doing something.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends quit unexpectedly in Monterey

Post by Jon »

There are no Monterey-specific stability issues I'm aware of. You might try rebooting in Safe mode (Shift key held down) and then back in normal mode. That can sometimes clear up underlying issues with the system.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

smarcopolo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:31 am This problem seems to occur when idle. When Bookends is left for a while to do something else, or when the computer sleeps, surprise, it's not there any more. It has not crashed when I'm actually doing something.
Do you have App Tamer installed?
I was going crazy at some point on why Finder tend to crash when in idle state. Turned out, App Tamer was killing it when it uses higher CPU.
qubitten

Post by qubitten »

I have had the same problem as reported by @smarcopolo. I find that it will shut down if left idle for a long enough period, a couple of hours would be typical, or if the computer is left to sleep. I tried rebooting in Safe mode and then back to normal to no avail. I also find no crash files in system logs. And I do not have App Tamer.

I updated to Monterey 12.3.1 a day after I updated Bookends to the latest version 14.0.7. I do not recall that there was any problem with version 14.0.7 prior to updating Monterey, but I equally well have no recollection as to whether or not I was actually using the software in that short time period.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

This exact problem is also happening on the Devonthink as well.

The problem seems to have to do with SIP: https://discourse.devontechnologies.com ... cord/70939

https://discourse.devontechnologies.com ... ebug/70933

So, it might be good idea to check the SIP of OS.
qubitten

Post by qubitten »

The problem seems to have solved itself. I have no idea what I did, if anything. And I have SIP disabled so that was playing no role in its previous strange behaviour.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

If you read the link I attached above, BLUEFROG noted that disabling SIP is causing panics in Monterey.
It’s also inadvisable, generally speaking, to disable SIP.
In fact, I’ve had many kernel panics on a brand new M1 Mini running 12.3.1 with SIP disabled during my testing. So add that to the reasons why it’s good to leave SIP in place
Disabling it is the source of the problem.