View Settings fail to 'stick'

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Tacitus

View Settings fail to 'stick'

Post by Tacitus »

I normally operate with the view settings set to show the ref list in the LH pane and 'edit reference' on the right, in order that I may view my notes.

For some reason this setting fails to 'stick'. Sometimes after closing BE, the next time of opening it will show as above, but then on following occasions it consistently fails to do so and opens at list view only.

I cannot see anything in the prefs to force a database to open with a specified set of view settings. Is there any way of making BE open with a particular set of view options? I sync across two machines - desktop and laptop - but since opening files is controlled by the finder I wouldn't think this has any effect.

BE 14.0.7
MacOS 10.15.7 Desktop
MacOS 12.3.1 MacBook Air M1
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: View Settings fail to 'stick'

Post by Jon »

You're right, sync has no affect on the library window settings.

I don't know why it's not consistent. Does this happen with a new library?

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Yes it does. I created a new library with a few refs. If I close the library leaving BE running. I can reopen it with the view settings intact. Quit BE and the view reverts to the list of refs in a single window.

I set the test library view as, "list + edit ref" and then quit. Deleted prefs and it reopened with the view settings intact. Quit again and it reverts to list view only. Tried this with both desktop (Cataline) and laptop (Monterey) with the same results, setting up a separate test Library on each machine.

Not a huge problem, but I can't see why it should happen, as the library should open in the same view state that it was left in.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It should, and I can't reproduce this problem on two different Macs. Does anyone else reading this thread have this problem?

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. One last thought -- try rebooting in Safe mode and then testing.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

For me, the view is sticky--whether I restart BE or just one library, I am getting exactly the same view setup. But, I am using version 14.0.6.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

FWIW I've deleted Bookends in its entirety from the Catalina machine - at least so far as I can tell - and done a reinstall using a fresh download. Probably not a bad idea anyway as it should remove any accumulated cruft from successive upgrades through the years.

However the problem still persists. Frustrating. Must be something obscure with my setup but I'm running out of options as to where to look.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There are no options. It's handled automatically -- the data are saved to the library's database on window close and restored on window open. Sorry, I haven't heard of this problem before and don't know what causes it, but I can say it's not intrinsic to Bookends. It's something local. Did you try the Safe mode reboot I suggested?

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Yes tried safe boot which made no difference. I've tried exporting all refs and creating a new database to no avail.

Does BE write this information in the individual database file? There used to be a BE journal file but I think that is now invisible - at least I can't see it anywhere.

Just in case... What is the default location for database/library storage? Mine are in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends

I run as user with all apps in the main Applications folder. Everything else runs fine so I don't see why BE shouldn't, but full disclosure etc
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The data is stored in the same database that holds the reference metadata.

The journal file is a temporary file created during the course of your work. It records transactions so that if there is a crash the data can be restored when the database is next opened. It's a transitory file that's created/destroyed frequently.

Your library is in the correct default location. You're doing nothing unusual.

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary but thought i might have missed something.

Guess I shall have to live with it. No big deal but irritating.

Thanks for helping.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Had another thought. As said above I run as user with all apps installed in the main applications folder which is with the admin account.

I logged into the admin account and imported a few refs to a new database with BE in demo mode - the licence is with me as user. Note I was logged into the admin account and running as admin. This time I could set the view prefs as list (LHS) and edit ref (RHS) quit and restart and those prefs stuck. Tried it several times and it always worked.

So it's possibly a permissions problem somewhere that isn't letting the pref be written whilst I'm running as user. It would explain why it also happens on the M1 Mbk Air running Monterey as that machine is setup in the same way.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You may have something there. But why status data wasn't allowed but the changes to reference metadata were, and why it only happened sometimes, is still a mystery. But yes, some weird permissions problem is always a possibility.

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Just tried a reinstall from the user account using admin privileges which should alter ownership and I hoped reset the permissions but no go.

That's it. A 'get info' on BE and a couple of apps chosen at random shows the same permissions, so it may be something in the internal workings of BE. Given I'm the only one that has the prob - most folks probably run in the main admin account - I guess I shall have to live with it.

Irritating but there we are.