Advice on how to handle epubs?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tarot sport

Advice on how to handle epubs?

Post by tarot sport »

I hate epubs, but doing research in contemporary humanities most of the books come out in this format. I completely understand why Bookends is reluctant to deal with them (both technically and "philosophically"), so I'm looking for advice and hopefully a solution, given the volume the library contains. Converting to pdf (and with what software?), or... alternatives?
Last edited by tarot sport on Sun May 08, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Advice on how to handle epubs?

Post by Jon »

If you simply want them attached to the corresponding reference in Bookends that can be done (you can attach any kind of file to a reference). And you should be able to open them in your default epub reader from within Bookends (although I haven't actually tried that). Is there something else you'd want to do with them in Bookends?

Jon
Sonny Software
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Calibre is a good ebook choice, and can convert to PDF. https://calibre-ebook.com/
tarot sport

Post by tarot sport »

Calibre is a really useful tool, a real Swiss Army knife, but unfortunately I find its readers really bulky and slow. I'd prefer something snappier (I'm testing both Yomu and FB Reader); the ideal would be a nice internal implementation of Bookends, but I understand the difficulties!
aroddick wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:12 pm Calibre is a good ebook choice, and can convert to PDF. https://calibre-ebook.com/
Is converting epub to pdf something you usually do? I might be heading in that direction, but I don't know....
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As I said, you can attach an epub, like any other file, to a reference. You can then easily (a double click or a menu option) open it from there in a reader of your choice. Is that not satisfactory?

Jon
Sonny Software
tarot sport

Post by tarot sport »

Jon wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 am As I said, you can attach an epub, like any other file, to a reference. You can then easily (a double click or a menu option) open it from there in a reader of your choice. Is that not satisfactory?
It is!
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

I usually open them in DEVONthink 3.