citation separator

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ortho168

citation separator

Post by ortho168 »

Hi, when I chose "," as the citation separator, I got a lot of ambiguous citation after scanning document. When I changed the separator to ";", I got ';" between every citation. What did I do wrong? Typically I need a "," between two citations and "-" to indicate continuous numbers of reference like "1-4, 6, 8" . Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: citation separator

Post by Jon »

The citation separator is for temporary citations only -- don't use , unless you intend the output for BibTeX (you're even warned when you try to change to that). The separators for the final citation are set independently in each format, not global preferences.

Use the default we ship unless you've got a good reason to change it -- semicolon.

Jon
Sonny Software
ortho168

Post by ortho168 »

Thank you for the reply. I changed it back to semicolon. Would you please show me where I can set the separator in the final citation?
I still cannot get the number citation as "1-4" instead of "1234". Appreciate.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

When you cite a group of references, you must with do this:

{temp cite1; temp cite2; temp cite3} -- all in one set of curly brackets, recommended

or

{temp cite1}{temp cite2}{temp cite3} -- NO spaces between the individual citations

Jon
Sonny Software