Request: Common Sets of Smart Groups across Libraries

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Request: Common Sets of Smart Groups across Libraries

Post by DrJJWMac »

I would like to have an effective way to move smart groups between libraries or to make smart groups "global" across multiple libraries.

I have a collection (about 10) of smart groups in a library in a folder called "to repair". For example, "Abstract - Funky" is

(abstract REGEX '*\.\.*') OR (abstract REGEX '…') OR (abstract REGEX '\n\n')

I am splitting my libraries to help me oversee diverse projects. I would like to keep the set of what I would call my Utility Smart Groups to be common to all libraries.

I am open to hearing suggestions that work at the Finder level in the meantime.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Request: Common Sets of Smart Groups across Libraries

Post by Jon »

You can copy/paste smart groups between libraries. At the moment, this can only be done one at a time (so it's 10 copies and I don't know how many pastes in your case). We may allow copying of multiple smart groups at once in the future.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Re: Request: Common Sets of Smart Groups across Libraries

Post by Dellu »

Duplicating the master library is another strategy.

1. Duplicate the library that contains the smart folders: call the new copy TemplateLib
2. delete all the references within the TemplateLib
3. Every time you want to create a new library, you simply duplicate TemplateLib and import your references to it.

That will transfer your smart folders and other library internal setups. This strategy is useful if you are going to create a lot of new libraries, and want to access your setups across all the libraries.