Delete (from database) versus Remove (from group)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Delete (from database) versus Remove (from group)

Post by DrJJWMac »

I am a bit put off by the way the Delete ... menu option operates. I have a set of references in a Static Group. I want to Remove them from the Static Group. It seems that I have to select Delete ... If instead I select a reference in the All section and select Delete ..., I am invoking a command to delete the reference from the database itself.

Delete ... (from database) is a harsher action than Remove ... (from group).

Could the Delete command become aware of this distinction both as a context menu option and as the main menu option? Perhaps the name could change to Remove ... rather than Delete ... as appropriate to the context. Alternatively, the menu option Add to New Group could include a new sub option None, perhaps as below

None
New Group
--
(current list of groups)
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Delete (from database) versus Remove (from group)

Post by Jon »

Since the Delete key works in both cases (and is what I use, FWIW), it seems appropriate to use the word Delete for both (and the distinction between delete and remove is subtle). But what do others think?

I don't understand why you're proposing an Add to None option for references. I don't know what it's for.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

> I don't understand why you're proposing an Add to None option for references. I don't know what it's for.

It is another way to clear the reference from the group. If this is clearer ...

Remove from Group
Put in New Group
--
(current list of groups)
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Like the old Windows, where you used the Start button to Quit an app? As it is now you remove references from groups when the group is selected and the reference is selected (press the Delete key or right click and choose Delete). That's clear and unambiguous (and the confirm dialog says Remove, not Delete). Let's not complicate the UI with yet another way to remove references from groups. But I will have the contextual menu say "Remove From Group" instead of "Delete" where appropriate.

Jon
Sonny Software