customize *file* name convention for renaming on import

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
MichiganUser

customize *file* name convention for renaming on import

Post by MichiganUser »

When I import PDFs to my Bookends library, I would like to customize how they're renamed. Specifically, I'd like them to follow the following convention:
AuthorLastName (YearOfPublication) Title

I've played with the Attachment settings and with the Biblio>Format Manager, but I can't figure out how to do this. (I've found lots of ways to adjust how the PDF *citation* is formatted! But I want to customize the naming convention for the actual PDF file/"attachment".)

Sorry if I've missed a post on this topic already, but could anyone help me? Many thanks in advance!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: customize *file* name convention for renaming on import

Post by Jon »

Did you go to preferences and tell Bookends to use the format you created for renaming?

Jon
Sonny Software
MichiganUser

Post by MichiganUser »

Sorry I missed this reply earlier! I see where I'd do that in Preferences; the problem I'm having (I think?) is that I can't figure out how to change the *file titling* convention in Biblio>Formats Manager.

To be clear: I see how to customize the *bibliographical style format*; changing the parameters in the top circle of this screenshot will affect the format of the bibliographical information in the bottom circle of this screen shot.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.08.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.08.41 PM.png (211.34 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

But I can't see any comparable options for customizing the *file titling* format. Your question makes me think I must be missing something embarrassingly obvious!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you mean by file titling. If you mean the file name...then you'd open preferences, General tab, and at the bottom list set the parameters for how the file should be renamed (e.g. pick a format if you don't want to use one of the built-in options, replace spaces with underscores, etc.).

If this isn't what you mean, or the answer is insufficient, please contact tech support directly, it's much faster to do this via email.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
MichiganUser

Post by MichiganUser »

ok will do -- sorry, wasn't sure how to proceed with the question!