Customized bibliography sort

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Maximus

Customized bibliography sort

Post by Maximus »

I need a style with in text citations (numbers-pages) and numbered endnotes.
But endnotes should be sorted in the following order: at first sources (in citations order), then literature (alphabetically).

For example:

[1, p.25]
[2, p.5]
[3, p.50]
[4, p.70]

1. Source A.
2. Source B.
3. Adam S. The Wealth
4. Smith A. Of Nation

Could you suggest how to do that?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Customized bibliography sort

Post by Jon »

I don't really understand the distinction between the source and the literature, but regardless I can't think of any simple way to combine different styles in a single endnote. One thought is that you could have your word processor create the endnote out of the footnote citations (they all do this AFAIK) and then move it in front of the bibliography. You'd have to reset the number sequence, from 1..n, manually (or perhaps the word processor could do that).

Jon
Sonny Software
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Jon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 am I don't really understand the distinction between the source and the literature, but regardless I can't think of any simple way to combine different styles in a single endnote. One thought is that you could have your word processor create the endnote out of the footnote citations (they all do this AFAIK) and then move it in front of the bibliography. You'd have to reset the number sequence, from 1..n, manually (or perhaps the word processor could do that).
I meant archival sources and other literature. My main word processor is Mellel.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You might ask Eyal if it's possible to automatically renumber the references when they're put together in a combination of endnote and bibliography.

Jon
Sonny Software
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Ok, thank you for your thoughts and advice , Jon!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

For those who might find it useful. I asked a similar question on the Mellel forum.
Icelander has come up with two brilliant solutions to this question. He detailed step by step what needs to be done. Here is a link to a thread on the Mellel forum.
https://forum.mellel.com/viewtopic.php?t=3908