Problem alphabetizing with Editors

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fgvs

Problem alphabetizing with Editors

Post by fgvs »

Hi,
I have a problem I had never experienced before and am clueless as to how to solve it.

I want the entries in the Cited References to be alphabetized by author and date, and to replace repeated names with three dashes. The insertion of dashes works well for AUTHORS but not for EDITORS. That is, every edited book entry comes without three dashes. Moreover, books and edited books get mixed because the criterion author and date is applies. The result is a mess, as the screen shot will show you.
References.jpg
References.jpg (161.06 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
I also add a screeshot of the settings for that style.
Preferences.jpg
Preferences.jpg (160.96 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
My twofold question is: How could I (i) get the edited book entries to have three dashes just as author entries do? and b) is there a way to set apart from each other the entries where a given name is an author from the entries where the same name is an editor?

Thanks for any clues.

Francisco
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Problem alphabetizing with Editors

Post by Jon »

I don't think the name substitution works when the references are of different types (e.g. journal article vs edited book). I think they need to be of the same type. If that's something people want I could look into adding it.

As for groups journal articles and edited books separately in the bibliography, that's not possible. You could do that with a subject bibliography, but I don't think you want that, either.

Jon
Sonny Software
fgvs

Post by fgvs »

Thank you for the fast response, Jon.

As for name substitution, I think the thing to solve this problem might be to add an option like "Editors like Authors", and perhaps "Others like authors" (to accommodate entries listed by translator, for example) applied to the name substitution thing. Then it would work, I guess. Is there hope?

As for outputting in the alphabetizing process—e.g., outputting authors before editors (or translators) with the same name—perhaps you could add a toggle option to list separately authors and editors with the same name even before other criteria (like date) kick in? That's a feature required in several styles... I guess the problem does not come up often, but when it does (like in this case), it causes a conspicuous mess. Any hope?

Thanks again.

Francisco
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Scanning is rather complicated and even small changes are prone to break existing functionality. All I can tell you is I'll take a look and see.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Jon wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:47 pmI don't think the name substitution works when the references are of different types (e.g. journal article vs edited book). I think they need to be of the same type. If that's something people want I could look into adding it.

Yes, my all means, please look into it. I think this is really a very important issue.

fgvs wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:58 amI guess the problem does not come up often,
I'm not so sure about that, Francisco. At least I have many cases where I need to cite books by a certain author, and then again a number of books this very same author has edited. — When I come to think of it, it's rather the rule than the exception.

Thank you, Francisco, for drawing our attention to this issue.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the next update, if identical authors in sequential bibliography references are to be replaced (with dashes or whatever you specify), edited book editors will be considered to be authors. Authors and editor entries will sort together as they do now.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Jon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:32 pm In the next update, if identical authors in sequential bibliography references are to be replaced (with dashes or whatever you specify), edited book editors will be considered to be authors.
Great news! Thank you so much, Jon.