Get DOI from pdf

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dellu

Get DOI from pdf

Post by Dellu »

- The current Get DOI menu appears to use the title of the article to search it in the Crossref database to get the DOI. I personally rarely get results with this menu. Most of the time, it gets no results.
- I know BE has an internal system to get DOIs from the first few pages of a pdf file.

I was thinking if there is a way to make the internal system (the one that gets DOIs from the pdf) available to the user by combining it with the "Get DOI" command.

Get DOI would have two submenus:
(a) from Crossref (Internet)
(b) from pdf (local)

This is useful to copy the DOI numbers from the pdf to the reference. The "Get DOI from pdf" would scan the first few pages of the pdf, and copy the DOI (if there is any) to the DOI field.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Get DOI from pdf

Post by Jon »

Or you could copy and paste the DOI from the PDF itself. That's more reliable because unlike Bookends, you won't be confused by formatting (e.g. spaces and returns) that interrupt the DOI.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Dear Jon,
Yes, that is exactly what I am doing right now.
But, given the DOI detection technology is already there, I think, it would be great to make it available to the user as well. The main advantage is it can get the DOI hundreds of files. Isn't that the main advantage of computation? A lot of labor (manual) work can be minimized with the automation.

I think the DOI detection system we have in place right now is very effective: I am getting a success over 95% of the time. It would be great to have this feature if the implementation is not that complicated.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Complicated or not, it means yet another menu (just what Bookends needs!) for a minor feature almost no one will use. And there are issues of usability that would have to be considered as well. Better to figure out why the DOI isn't being returned from Crossref. Please send me a reference where the DOI isn't being found on Crossref and I'll take a look at that.

Jon
Sonny Software