ProCite to Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gke

ProCite to Bookends

Post by gke »

Continuing my earlier post "Bookends wins", I think it should be possible to export directly from ProCite in a tagged format which Bookends can import. The main issue here should be to set the tags right. As Bookends does not allow to diversify import options according to reference type or workform, it is my feeling that export tags from ProCite should consist of a combination of Workform Indicator and Field Number. This way each ProCite field has a unique tag, differentiating for example between the analytic Author field in Book Short and in Book Long. When importing into Bookends this would make it possible to diversify which information ends up in which fields for the different reference types/workforms without the Bookends import filter formally differentiating import mapping according to workform.

I just poked around with ProCite somewhat and what I think could be the vehicle for exporting your references directly from ProCite (or a model to base a new output style on) is modifying the Output Style called "UMI-Information Store" (File->Open, and navigate to the Styles folder in the ProCite folder). This output style generates a list of tagged fields, which it should be easy to edit further using the same format so that it can output all the fields you have data in, modify the tags to include the letter for each workform, and then write an import filter in Bookends which maps the information to the desired fields.

Gijs
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for this information, Gijs. I'm sure it will be helpful to others (and help me help them!).

Jon
Sonny Software
guerson

Procite to Bookends

Post by guerson »

Since I had fairly recent versions of both ProCite and EndNote (5 and 7, respectively), all I had to do to transfer my referencs from ProCite to Bookends was open my ProCite database in EndNote, set the style to Refer, and then export it as text file. I then imported it from Bookends (which has a filter for Refer) and everything worked fine.

I really like Bookends and I'm happy I found a replacement for ProCite.

Alexandra
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the info, Guerson.

I had been told that you couldn't open ProCite dbs in EndNote 7. I guess that only applies to ProCite 4 (which is the latest version I have), not ProCite 5

Good to know!

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Direct Import from ProCite to Bookends

Post by gke »

Looks like I sorted it out. I wrote an output style for ProCite and an import filter for Bookends through which I transferred my entire database to Bookends in a much more accurate manner than the result I achieved when working through Endnote.

Two things I cannot work out, though:
1) in ProCite, when you have a reference for which you only know one of several authors, you enter this like "Kessler, Gijs////". The four forward slashes are then transformed into "et al", "and others" or whatever you specify in the output style with which you generate your citations.

What is the notation to use for such references in Bookends? I configured my Output Style for ProCite in such a manner as to leave this entry unchanged; when parsing authors upon importing into Bookends, this gets transformed into:

"Kessler, Gijs
////"

Through a global find/replace it should be easy to transform the //// into something else, if only I knew what the right notation was.

2) My abstracts in the ProCite abstract field contain two hard returns between paragraphs to separate paragraphs for lack of indentation. In the text file my ProCite output style generates, these blank lines are maintained, but when importing into Bookends they disappear. Is there anything that can be done to correct this.

As soon as I sort these two things out, I intend to write a short instruction and make the set of output style and import filter available upon request as a "ProCite to Bookends DIY Transfer Kit".

Gijs
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Direct Import from ProCite to Bookends

Post by Jon »

gke wrote:1) in ProCite, when you have a reference for which you only know one of several authors, you enter this like "Kessler, Gijs////". The four forward slashes are then transformed into "et al", "and others" or whatever you specify in the output style with which you generate your citations.

What is the notation to use for such references in Bookends? I configured my Output Style for ProCite in such a manner as to leave this entry unchanged; when parsing authors upon importing into Bookends, this gets transformed into:

"Kessler, Gijs
////"

Through a global find/replace it should be easy to transform the //// into something else, if only I knew what the right notation was.
There isn't one. Bookends assumes you know who the authors are.

I suppose you could do this, however, by putting

Kessler, Gijs
et al.,

in the field. The comma at the end of the line tells Bookends to not parse the "name", but treat it as (for example) an institutional name.
2) My abstracts in the ProCite abstract field contain two hard returns between paragraphs to separate paragraphs for lack of indentation. In the text file my ProCite output style generates, these blank lines are maintained, but when importing into Bookends they disappear. Is there anything that can be done to correct this.
How are you defining an "end-of-field"? Bookends will preserved returns in fields, for example, in Refer imports. If you are using "valid tags" I think they will be stripped out.
As soon as I sort these two things out, I intend to write a short instruction and make the set of output style and import filter available upon request as a "ProCite to Bookends DIY Transfer Kit".
Great. I could also link to it if it is on your site, or upload onto the Sonny Software server.

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

How are you defining an "end-of-field"? Bookends will preserved returns in fields, for example, in Refer imports. If you are using "valid tags" I think they will be stripped out.
Basically, I based my Import filter on the Endnote Refer filter, and left the settings as they were, which means "Fields end with a return followed by a Refer tag (%)".

If you could put up the transfer kit on the Sonny software site would be great, as I don't have a web-site myself.

Thanks,

Gijs
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

gke wrote:Basically, I based my Import filter on the Endnote Refer filter, and left the settings as they were, which means "Fields end with a return followed by a Refer tag (%)".
Why not send a small file that shows the problem and the filter you are using to me, and I'll take a look.

If you could put up the transfer kit on the Sonny software site would be great, as I don't have a web-site myself.

We would be happy to.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To all:

Gijs has kindly created a "ProCite 4 to Bookends migration kit". It contains detailed instructions (with images), custom workforms, a ProCite output style, and a Bookends import filter.

We've uploaded it to our server. Anyone interested in moving from ProCite 4 to Bookends can download it here:

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/ProCite4ToBookends.sit

Thank you Gijs.

Jon
Sonny Software