Import from ProCite

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gke

Import from ProCite

Post by gke »

Having all my databases in ProCite, which is not being developed further for the Mac, I need to migrate to another bibliographic software application, and I am seriously thinking about Bookends. What worries me, though, is that there is no import support for ProCite databases. Is there a way to import directly from ProCite (4.03), without losing information or having to manually edit all of your database?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We get this question often, and we certainly have users who have written export styles and then imported into Bookends, but it seems it is not easy.

One solution that has worked for some is to open the Pro-Cite database with EndNote (on a PC -- the Mac version apparently can't do this), export as Refer, and then import that into Bookends.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has solved this problem.

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

Is import from EndNote flawless, particularly in case one has created custom workforms?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The EndNote (Refer) import filter is designed to meet the needs of most people, and based upon the feedback we get it seems to work pretty well (others may care to comment). It is also easy to edit the import filter to deal with special cases. My advice is to try it with a few references (up to 50, which the Bookends demo allows) and see how it goes. We can help you edit the import filter if necessary (although that's easy enough that I suspect you could modify it to meed any special needs yourself).

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

OK. The I will first go and check now whether I can use an Endnote-demo for this purpose; buying an Endnote-license just for migrating to Bookends seems a but too extravagant a solution!