double spaces in temporary citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
talazem

double spaces in temporary citation

Post by talazem »

My apologies for what might be a simple question, but I'm still learning here...

I am entering temporary citations at the end of notes I'm taking into my note database in DevonThink Pro. I go to Bookends, press command Y on the source, and then after being reverted to DT Pro I paste the temporary citation in. However, instead of simply getting {last name, year, #), I'm getting {last name, _ _ first name, year, #). In other words, the last name is followed by two empty spaces and a first name.

I don't particularly mind the first name, though I don't recall seeing it in examples in the manual. However, how do I get rid of those double spaces? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.
Last edited by talazem on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

How is the name entered in the database? Bookends expects surname, first name. If it's not, the Bookends should output the entire name as you entered it. Perhaps you have a name entered as surname last? I'd have to have an example to see why two spaces, but don't worry about it -- Bookends will ignore the extra spaces when scanning. Your temporary citation should work fine...

Jon
Sonny Software
talazem

Post by talazem »

The name is entered as you mentioned: last name, first name. I just tried it in Mellel (thinking it might be something with DEVONthink), and I had the same problem.

Even if it is not a problem in the scan, i would prefer to have just the last name, year, for the sake of clarity and lack of on-screen clutter in my notes, if this is possible.

Again, not a show-stopper, but it would be nice to solve. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't see this -- only the surname is used here. If you have a small example db (one reference would be good), zip and send it to me...

Jon
Sonny Software
jwilhelm

Got the same problem

Post by jwilhelm »

Hello,
i've got exactly the same problem: double spaces in citation objects.
Any advice?
Thanx in advance!
J
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

If this is in temporary citations it's of no consequence -- Bookends will still find it with scanning.

But if it bothers you, please send me a small db (preferably one reference) and tell me how to reproduce it.

Jon
Sonny Software