Automatic Short-title Diseabling

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Mencu

Automatic Short-title Diseabling

Post by Mencu »

Hi all.
I have gone through the help file and have not found out a way of switching off the automatic short title making. I had used that field previously for other purpose, and now I find that if I use it in a reference format, if the field is empty, there goes the dreaded short title.
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance
Miguel

Nota bene: On second thoughr, changing them does not take so long. But I think ity would be really nice to be able to chose wheter you want to use that field for short title or not.
Cheers
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm afraid you've lost me. The short title field is for -- the short title. If a format does not call for the short title, that field will be ignored and you can use it for anything you want. So, it sounds as if the format you are using wants the short title in that field. You'll have to explain in more detail what you think is the problem.

Jon
Sonny Software
Mencu

Short title problems

Post by Mencu »

Sorry for the broken english.
Let's see.
When I started using Bookends, back in version 8, there was no automatic short title creation, so I changed the name of that field in references and used it to keep other notices that I wanted to keep, if they existed at all. The reason was that short title was an expendable field for my work, so changing its name in the field name options and using it for other purpose seemed to be a good idea,

I could write different formats in which it was always included, but if I left it void, no short title would appear automatically. In version 9, or 9.1, the program creates automatically a short title if I leave the field void.
It is not a particular nuisance, for I have not used it often, but, nevertheless, it means going once more through those files changing the information I kept there.
Hope that makes it clear
Thanx
Miguel
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Um, I think I see. But there is a misunderstanding, I think. Bookends will not create a short title for you. If you specify a short title in the format, as in

a. s.

and there is no short title, Bookends will substitute the full title. That is a feature, not a bug, BTW.

If you want that non-title info output in a format, your best bet would probably be to do a Global Change -> Move operation and put it in one of the free user-defined fields (I think you may already have figured this out).

Jon
Sonny Software
Mencu

Works perfectly

Post by Mencu »

I had not realizad how easy it could be done!!!.

Thanks once more

Miguel