Feature request: Per bibliography attachments folder

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
doconnor

Feature request: Per bibliography attachments folder

Post by doconnor »

Hi all,

I have a feature request that I *think* would be broadly useful, but perhaps not. I maintain several Bookends libraries on different computers, including a 'lab master' library that contains all of the papers I've downloaded. I would like to be able to give new members of my lab a CD containing both the Bookends library and a folder with all of the PDF attachments linked from that library. It seems like I can only choose one central folder to house all of the attachments for all of the libraries on my machine. It would be great if I could designate an attachments folder for each library independently.

Is there a way to do this that I just haven't found?

Thanks,

dave
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes. You can have subfolders in your main attachments folder. When you make an attachment, there is a popup menu that lets you put it in a subfolder, or to create a subfolder (you can always create a subfolder in the Finder, too). Add your attachment to the subfolder you want.

This was conceived of as a way to organize attachments by year, subject, whatever, which is what you want.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Of course, if the members of your lab are using Bookends, you have a lab license, right?
doconnor

Post by doconnor »

Thanks Jon. And yes, I do have a lab license :)

Actually, what I want to do is have attachments libraries for certain bibliographies to be on other volumes, such that Library A has its attachments stored in Folder A on internal hard drive A, while Library B has its attachments stored in Folder B on external hard drive B.

dave
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi doconnor,

Ah, I see. You can have attachments anywhere you want, so this should be no problem. When you attach a reference and DON'T ask Bookends to move it to the default folder, Bookends keeps the alias of the folder that the attachment is in, and will search through it when you want to open an attachment. The default folder is only necessary if you want Bookends to move the attachment for you to a central location.

Note that Bookends searches first through the default folder (and subfolders) and then any other folders you might have used. It stops searching when it finds a hit, so if you have two pdfs with the same name, one in the default folder and one elsewhere, Bookends will return the one in the default folder.

Jon
Sonny Software