adding or ignoring fields in the bibliographic formatter

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

adding or ignoring fields in the bibliographic formatter

Post by danzac »

Hi there. I am trying to further perfect my bibliography formatter. Some books I have are revised, and that needs to be noted in my formats. I used the userfield 2 for Edition, but most books aren't a 3d edition. How do I make it so that the output will include, say, (3d ed.; dallas: Word publisher, 2002) if there is info in userfield 2, but if the userfield 2 is empty it will not put the blank and semicolon.

Just so you don't think I'm an idiot, I did read the userguide section on the $$ and ' ' markers, but am still a little confused as to the use of the ' ' .

ps. love the screenshots of v.8, and looking forward to it immensely. Danzac
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi danzac,

The backquote ` (not ') is a "force quote", meaning that whatever is between the `` will be output, regardless of whether the field that follows it is empty or not. You want to use the $$, which will not be output if the field that follows it is not. Remember that a space in the format is used to determine if the text is output or not, too.

In your example I think this will work:

x; l: u, d

Please contact support@sonnysoftware.com directly if you have any more problems with this.

Jon
Sonny Software