Handheld syncs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

Handheld syncs

Post by danzac »

Hi Jon. I was wondering if there are any plans to implement a type of handheld sync capabilites like Endnote has. It would be a nice additional feature. Thanks, Danny
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Danny,

There is one developer who has expressed some interest in doing this:

http://www.mootjelitt.com/

If you are interested in such an application, please contact them directly.

Jon
Sonny Software
MG

Post by MG »

Hi Jon:

If not to handhelds, how about syncing Bookends between two computers, ala iSync?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sorry, I know nothing about how iSync works. I know it uses some open standard, but beyond that, nothing. I suspect it requires that the files be an open standard, too, like XML. I don't see how it can possibly work with a database engine like Bookends'.

It might be possible to write our own 'syncing' code, but I suspect it would be difficult. I'm not aware of any other database app that does this (please inform me if you know of one). You can always export from one/import into the other, of course -- removing duplicates is not hard, if it is necessary. This of course is not ideal.

Jon
Sonny Software
jem

Post by jem »

Now that Bookends 8 is released I will implement a method to import/export Bookends databases to a Palm device (no speculation on the time but it shouldn't take that long ... it's mostly a matter of everything else I need to do)