required fields in Bookends 8

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

required fields in Bookends 8

Post by danzac »

I am wondering if there is any upgrades to the required fields option now in the BibTex preferences. It would be ideal if the required fields would be colored based on what type of reference it is, and those are keyed perhaps to a chosen bibliographic format, or specified for each reference type in Preferences. Just an idea. thanks Jon, Danny
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Danny,

Do you mean you want required field indicators for, say, Chicago, which change as a function of the reference Type? Yes, this is feasible. I don't know how useful it would be, though. And it would add a lot of overhead to the format definition (you'd have to have an entire page devoted to assigning the required field to each Type). Furthermore, a "requirement" would be sort of arbitrary. Bookends already has ways of dealing with bib entries where a field it expects is empty. I'm not sure if a minor feature such as this would be worth all the trouble. This may fall in the category of application bloat (always a matter of opinion, of course).

Jon
Sonny Software