History Research?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cynric

History Research?

Post by Cynric »

Is Bookends a viable source for a history Major or is it mainly for scientific reserach. From what i've seen there are tons of sites for Medical journals and data bases. I'm thinking about useing this for a paper i'm writing or at least start it up so that i can have references in an easy to get to place.

Also it doesn't seem (at least on the surface) to be very easy to use. Any tips on getting started? I've never used any other databases other than internet and library sources - nothing on my personal computer.

thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: History Research?

Post by Jon »

Cynric wrote:Is Bookends a viable source for a history Major or is it mainly for scientific reserach. From what i've seen there are tons of sites for Medical journals and data bases. I'm thinking about useing this for a paper i'm writing or at least start it up so that i can have references in an easy to get to place.
Hi Cynric,

Bookends is used by all sorts of folks. Support for the humanities is good, I think -- always room for improvement, of course.

You may find the new Internet Search feature particularly useful.

As for formats, they are skewed toward the sciences, but many apply to those in the humanities as well (Chicago, APA, Turabian, etc.). Bookends formats are pretty easy to create, and we can help you with them if you need it.
Also it doesn't seem (at least on the surface) to be very easy to use. Any tips on getting started? I've never used any other databases other than internet and library sources - nothing on my personal computer.
You'll have to decide for yourself how easy it is (it's easy for me :-)). I think if you spend 20 minutes with the Bookends tutorial much will be explained. This forum is a good place to get feedback, and I'm always available to answer your questions as well (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

This what I just wrote about Bookends 8 for the Mac and History discussion list:

"With the upgrade to 8, Bookends has the complete set of features historians would need. Cite while you write now allows for the correct formatting of citations in footnotes, where we would usually place them, the number of fields id now elaborate enough to contain all the information that historians normally include in their citations and the integrated internet search function allows you to search the Library of Congress catalogue and transfer references to your database. The only thing wanting is output formats for the journals we publish in, but that is up to us users to write them, which is really quite easy in Bookends. As a start I wrote one for the International Review of Social History, which Sonny software was kind enough to include in their standard distribution."
Cynric

Post by Cynric »

Thanks - i think i will be buying it soon i could really use this - i'm new to research and i think this'll help