Importing bibliography from Word 2004

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
History

Importing bibliography from Word 2004

Post by History »

I have a basic question that I can not figure out with your demo or user manual.

I am interested in Bookends 8 with Word 2004.

I have about 40 pages of a working bibliography in Word 2004 and I could not figure out how to import that into Bookends.

How can I do that or is that not possible with the demo?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi History,

Importing an existing bibliography is difficult, prone to problems, and not really recommended. This is because bibliographies are typically not particularly internally-consistent, which computers hate.

Having said that, it may be possible to do this in a semi-satisfactory way, depending on the bibliography.

The first things you need to do is save it as plain text. Then you must construct an import filter in Bookends that can parse the data. Tip: you'll need to use the Source parser.

Finally, refer to page 76 of the User Guide: "Creating filters for existing bibliographies"

Jon
Sonny software
History

Post by History »

Hi,

Thanks!

I was able to have some success but it would still require a bit of work/formatting for Chicago style did not translate well. Is there a way to bulk copy and paste? I read where you can drag and drop and copy but looking for a shortcut due to the large amount of data.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean to import?

You can copy the bibliography to the clipboard in your word processor, switch to Bookends, and import references from the clipboard.

You can also select the bibliography in Word and drag and drop it onto a Bookends window (NOT into an editfield, of course, or it will all be put there (and due to its size, severely stress Bookends).

Is that what you wanted to know?

Jon
Sonny Software
History

Post by History »

Sorry again.

When I try that, as before, I receive a Nil Objects Error.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

History,

Please contact me directly and we'll figure out what the problem is.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
History

Post by History »

Thank you for your quick and dedicated effort in support!