The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
cipri7

Re: The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Post by cipri7 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks, Jon! It is good to know the issue is simply in how the format was created by others, so I can be confident in just making the edits.

I appreciate your responsiveness, as always.

tpyles

Post by tpyles » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Thank you both, Jon and cipri7. I'm trying to get back into dissertation work this semester and will need this format!

tpyles

Post by tpyles » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 am

Two followup questions: first, is there an updated guide to using the SBL format like Danny Zacharias had put together a number of years ago? I used to have it, but I don't think I do anymore, and the link has been removed now that the format has been updated.

Second: is there an updated SBL journal glossary floating about anywhere? I'm sure I can just add abbreviations I need as I go. Hopefully none have changed, and the second edition only reflects new abbreviations added.

Cheers!

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am

I'm not aware of new versions of either. Perhaps Danny Zacharias will see this and respond.

Jon
Sonny Software

Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 am

Any SBL 2nd edition style with no issues whatsoever? I installed the format, changed the quotation marks (from «» to ""), but I am facing another issue: no comma and space before the page number, when it comes to Book and Edited Book types of format:
Stanley J. Grenz and John R. Franke, Beyond Foundationalism: Shaping Theology in a Postmodern Context (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001)29
The format that I have in the style is (for footnote citation):
a, e$, ed++.$. t , j v (l: u, d)
Same happens with the subsequent citations for Book/Edited Book type of reference. Any ideas to solve this issue?

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am

That's a Cited Page, right? You have to tell Bookends what to output before the Cited Page in the format (Citation Options tab, Common Settings). In this case, a comma and space.

Jon
Sonny Software

Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 am

Jon wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am
That's a Cited Page, right? You have to tell Bookends what to output before the Cited Page in the format (Citation Options tab, Common Settings). In this case, a comma and space.
Yes, that's cited page. Your suggestion solved the issue. Thank you very much!

Adrian

Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi,

I am preparing an SBLHS2 format for Bookends. While I managed to arrange the format for books, journals etc., I am stuck with the formatting for the lexica both one word or more words citation. For one word, SBLHS2 has:
LEH, s.v. “ἐνθύημα.”
For two or more words,
LEH, s.vv. “ἐνθύημα,” “λεαίνω.”
The lexicon is not included in the bibliography.
I have several questions:
  1. How should I think the connection between the words in the lexicon and the lexicon itself? Should I create a new link type, or just create a type (e.g. "Unsigned entry") or modify a Parent-Child type in the Citation option?
  2. How can I make the s.vv. to appear for multiple words?
  3. How can I add multiple words from a lexicon (LEH, s.vv. “ἐνθύημα,” “λεαίνω”)? Should I put the abbreviated title where the author stands and then exclude the title from the citation?
Thank you for your help,
Adrian.

ctayers

Post by ctayers » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi,
I've managed to download and unzip the most recent file posted in this forum, but there are no installation instruction provided. How would I go about installing? Thank you.
Carl

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 pm

The easiest way is to double click the file and let Bookends install it for you.

You can do this manually if you prefer, moving the format to

~/Library/Application Support/Bookends/Custom Formats

Jon
Sonny Software