The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
cipri7

Re: The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Post by cipri7 »

Thanks, Jon! It is good to know the issue is simply in how the format was created by others, so I can be confident in just making the edits.

I appreciate your responsiveness, as always.
tpyles

Post by tpyles »

Thank you both, Jon and cipri7. I'm trying to get back into dissertation work this semester and will need this format!
tpyles

Post by tpyles »

Two followup questions: first, is there an updated guide to using the SBL format like Danny Zacharias had put together a number of years ago? I used to have it, but I don't think I do anymore, and the link has been removed now that the format has been updated.

Second: is there an updated SBL journal glossary floating about anywhere? I'm sure I can just add abbreviations I need as I go. Hopefully none have changed, and the second edition only reflects new abbreviations added.

Cheers!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not aware of new versions of either. Perhaps Danny Zacharias will see this and respond.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Any SBL 2nd edition style with no issues whatsoever? I installed the format, changed the quotation marks (from «» to ""), but I am facing another issue: no comma and space before the page number, when it comes to Book and Edited Book types of format:
Stanley J. Grenz and John R. Franke, Beyond Foundationalism: Shaping Theology in a Postmodern Context (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001)29
The format that I have in the style is (for footnote citation):
a, e$, ed++.$. t , j v (l: u, d)
Same happens with the subsequent citations for Book/Edited Book type of reference. Any ideas to solve this issue?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's a Cited Page, right? You have to tell Bookends what to output before the Cited Page in the format (Citation Options tab, Common Settings). In this case, a comma and space.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Jon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am That's a Cited Page, right? You have to tell Bookends what to output before the Cited Page in the format (Citation Options tab, Common Settings). In this case, a comma and space.
Yes, that's cited page. Your suggestion solved the issue. Thank you very much!

Adrian
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Hi,

I am preparing an SBLHS2 format for Bookends. While I managed to arrange the format for books, journals etc., I am stuck with the formatting for the lexica both one word or more words citation. For one word, SBLHS2 has:
LEH, s.v. “ἐνθύημα.”
For two or more words,
LEH, s.vv. “ἐνθύημα,” “λεαίνω.”
The lexicon is not included in the bibliography.
I have several questions:
  1. How should I think the connection between the words in the lexicon and the lexicon itself? Should I create a new link type, or just create a type (e.g. "Unsigned entry") or modify a Parent-Child type in the Citation option?
  2. How can I make the s.vv. to appear for multiple words?
  3. How can I add multiple words from a lexicon (LEH, s.vv. “ἐνθύημα,” “λεαίνω”)? Should I put the abbreviated title where the author stands and then exclude the title from the citation?
Thank you for your help,
Adrian.
ctayers

Post by ctayers »

Hi,
I've managed to download and unzip the most recent file posted in this forum, but there are no installation instruction provided. How would I go about installing? Thank you.
Carl
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The easiest way is to double click the file and let Bookends install it for you.

You can do this manually if you prefer, moving the format to

~/Library/Application Support/Bookends/Custom Formats

Jon
Sonny Software
DrChrisHeard

Post by DrChrisHeard »

Adrian Petre wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm I am preparing an SBLHS2 format for Bookends./quote]

Adrian, what’s the status of your SBLHS2 file? Is it in a shareable format? I have the one Jon posted but thought you might have made improvements.
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

DrChrisHeard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:31 am
Adrian Petre wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm I am preparing an SBLHS2 format for Bookends./quote]

Adrian, what’s the status of your SBLHS2 file? Is it in a shareable format? I have the one Jon posted but thought you might have made improvements.
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. The file is almost ready for sharing. I just need to verify that everything is in place for each type of reference. As I resumed my dissertation writing and having thus the chance to use various types of reference, that will not take too long.
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Jon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 pm The easiest way is to double click the file and let Bookends install it for you.

You can do this manually if you prefer, moving the format to

~/Library/Application Support/Bookends/Custom Formats

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi,
How can I export a format (in my case the SBLHS2) so that others can double click the file and Bookends to install it? Is it possible to keep all my custom made reference types?

Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You don't export it. It's a file on your HD that you can move to server, email, etc. Right click on it in the Formats Manager and Bookends will offer to show it in the Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Thank you. I did that, but some custom reference types (e.g. “Unused”, etc.) were not saved with the same name (e.g. “Volume in Multivolume”). On a new computer, they have to be again renamed. Is there any way to avoid that?