Trouble with SBL Formats and Bookends 12

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
jthomashewitt

Trouble with SBL Formats and Bookends 12

Post by jthomashewitt »

I've just recently tried to install the Zacharias SBL Custom Formats, and they seemed to cause all sorts of troubles with Bookends 12. The error messages suggested that I repair or rebuild my library, but that didn't help. Neither did re-installing the formats. I've trashed them now, and everything is working fine again, but I would really like to be able to use them in the future.

Has anyone else had trouble with Bookends 12 and the SBL formats? Is there some way I'm going wrong in my installation of them (I just double click them and they self-install)?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with SBL Formats and Bookends 12

Post by Jon »

These formats, which were not made by us, are quite old, and it looks like they're not compatible with the new version of the database engine used in Bookends 12. If someone has them working in Bookends 11.x, please contact me and I'll see if they will work with 12.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

A user did contact me, and the SBL format for Bookends 12 is here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1679

Jon
Sonny Software
jthomashewitt

Post by jthomashewitt »

Excellent. Thank you!
jwh

Post by jwh »

I've recently upgraded from BE 11 to BE 12. I deleted all my old custom formats and then downloaded anew the SBL Style file (FTP). Is something wrong with my installation or have others found serious format scrambling with this format file? For example, a chapter title from an edited book gets repeated in italics in place of the book title and then the book title appears without italics after the series abbreviation. The volume number for the series is omitted. For the edited book itself, the editors name(s) is omitted before "ed." and then the editor(s) name is placed after the title "Ed. .....". I use Mellel (current version) and find these errors both in the style preview window within BE and in my document when I format it. Also, with the older SBL file, there were separate files for Bibliography and Footnotes. With the new download, there is only one file "SBL." Would someone please clarify for me? Thanks!
John Hilber
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The SBL format is not from us so I can't really comment on its accuracy. Hopefully other SBL users can address your questions about the output.

I can tell you that we got rid of two files for custom formats quite a while ago (sometime in the Bookends 11 series, I don't recall which). Each format file now contains formatting instructions for both bibliographies and citations/footnotes.

Jon
Sonny Software
davidknoll

Post by davidknoll »

I have the same problem. Have you been able to solve this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I haven't touched the SBL format, it's not one we created. If you want to modify it please do, and if you run into problems you can contact tech support for help.

Jon
Sonny Software
jdkim

Post by jdkim »

Does anyone know what this means? I am trying to use SBL Footnote format but this keeps popping up! Please help! (See the attachment)
sbl.tiff
sbl.tiff (120.94 KiB) Viewed 21110 times
Last edited by jdkim on Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It means that the format is missing some internal information. This can happen sometimes when the conversion from 11.x to 12.x occurs.

But that SBL footnote format is obsolete -- do not user it. It was intended for a time, long ago, when Bookends had a master format for bibliographies and a format for citations/footnotes. SBL footnote is a remnant from those days, and should not be used. Use SBL.

Jon
Sonny Software