Question regarding Book chapter-format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
NewBookendsUser

Question regarding Book chapter-format

Post by NewBookendsUser »

Hi,

sometimes I have to master references where a collection of articles etc. by one author has been edited by someone else. In that case, the order for book chapter should not be (as normal) "title of paper, in: editors, volume", but "title of paper, in: volume, editors"; at the moment I'm doing this with a second format for book chapters in a book by the same author, where the editors-field is at this point and the first editors field omitted.
Now I am wondering whether it would be advantageous to have all these chapters (whether "normal" book chapters or these ones) in a common format, in order to minimize the complexity of the whole format. Assigning a user-defined field for a second entry of editors for such cases is no problem, but until now I was not able to handle the following problem: In my format, I have
`in: `e $(Hg.)^^(Hgg.)$
for the editors; now, when these "normal" editor aren't there but instead the user-defined editors at the end, the (Hg.) or (Hgg.) should disappear - how to do this? I was playing around some time now but didn't come up with a solution...

Hans
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding Book chapter-format

Post by Jon »

The detection of one or more editors is hard-wired to the editors field. I think you need two Types.

BTW, please post questions like this in the Bookends forum. The "formats" forum is for requesting/exchanging formats.

Jon
Sonny Software
NewBookendsUser

Hi,

thanks! Just thought it might be possible to have $(Hg.)^^(Hgg.)$ output only if there are editors, otherwise not ...

Hans
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sorry, I don't understand. You want that suppressed if the editors field is empty? That's easily accomplished in a number of different ways. For example, placing the e directly before the quoted text (if the editors come in front) and putting the separating spaces inside the $$'s :

e$ (Hg.)^^ (Hgg.)$

Jon
Sonny Software
NewBookendsUser

Just the solution I was looking for! Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, good. Please see the User Guide (Help menu) for an explanation of various ways to deal with empty fields (that is, what Bookends outputs when a field has data and when it doesn't, and how to manipulate that).

Jon
Sonny Software
NewBookendsUser

I actually did play around with that but just didn't come up with putting the "e" directly in front of the quoted text ... So thanks again!