Adding new Types and Fields to a Format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
BobMitcham

Adding new Types and Fields to a Format

Post by BobMitcham »

Adding to the Types supplied with Harvard format

I am using the Harvard format (Adelaide University variant) and wish to use about 14+ additional Types, not available in your supplied Harvard format (5 types only) eg Newsletter, online presentation, conference proceedings offline & online, reports with, and without authors, picture or graph, ABS, newspaper article, review, website, factsheet, guide, online book.

Some of these will be similar to each other, and can be copied and pasted with minor changes, but the others will need to be constructed from scratch.

Is there a source where these can be downloaded or if not, is there a suggested workflow to speed the process?

Thanks, Bob
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Adding new Types and Fields to a Format

Post by Jon »

You'll need to add the Types in preferences (and you can adjust field names if you like). Then you can add them to the format (in the Formats Manager) and fill out accordingly. Note that when you add Type to a format it will, by default, fill out the fields according to the Type that was previously showing. That may speed up defining the new Type for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
BobMitcham

Post by BobMitcham »

I have downloaded the Endnote output style, Harvard (AGPS/Australian version), which someone has already prepared for Endnote as an .ens file. Is there any way of using this file to speed up the process of setting up a similar style/format in Bookends?

The existing Bookends Harvard style is quite different from that used in Australia Universities, which is based upon the Snooks & Co Style Manual 6th edition. As an example, the format for a journal article has 6 changes from the Harvard journal format provided in Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can view the output in EndNote as a guide to what you want to have in Bookends. Modifying formats in Bookends is pretty easy (the only mildly tricky part is dealing with fields that are empty). If you haven't yet, you should refer to the User Guide on how to edit formats (there's also a section in the Bookends Tutorial.pdf that will get you started). If you have problems you can contact tech support for help.

Jon
Sonny Software
BobMitcham

Post by BobMitcham »

Is there a workflow you suggest to organise a large number of types, so that I can copy the format from one type to the next and then modify?

As an example, I assume I would want to format consecutively all the types in the book category: book with one author, book with two authors, book chapter in book with 4 editors, book of readings, book with two publishers etc. Do they all need separate formats, or can preferences deal with some?

I have attached the style guide (Harvard- University of Adelaide- based on AGPS Style Guide, 2006)) which lists 100 or so formats. I will obviously need a system to do these, although I will probably only use 25 of those provided.

I have the Endnote formats for this style, but these do not appear to a novice to be easily transferable to Bookends formats, eg in Endnote:
Author Year,'Title', (Translated Title)|, review of Reviewed Item, Journal, vol*Volume, no*Issue, Date|,p. ^pp*Pages|.
should be equivalent to the Bookend's format: a d, 't', f, $vol. $v, $no. $i, $p. ^pp. $p-.
Attachments
harvardStyleGuide.pdf.zip
(225.56 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This forum is not intended for tech support.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

Please contact tech support directly.

Jon
Sonny Software