Question regarding Citation -> Replace repeated authors

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Thesis_Writer

Question regarding Citation -> Replace repeated authors

Post by Thesis_Writer »

Dear all,

I am currently writing on my thesis and have a small issue with "Replace repeated authors". Background: When I cite a book I use the format "Author (Year)" as a footnote. If there is a citation of the same authors on the same page, I just want to have "Idem". However, when it comes to a repeated citation Bookends exports "Idem (Year)". The reason is, I guess, that I have defined "Author (Date)" under Subsequent (optional). Of course, I could simply remove (Date) from Subsequent, but as a result every time I cite a book which was already cited (not on the same pages, but in the whole document) the date does not occur (what I do not want).

Is there a way in Bookends to cite books on the same just with "Idem", but reoccurring citations on different pages again with Author and Date? Idem should just come into game when quoting the same book on the same page.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding Citation -> Replace repeated authors

Post by Jon »

Idem will just replace the authors, not the rest of the citation (you use Ibid. if you want the entire citation replaced). And as for pages -- sorry, Bookends has no concept of pages, that's a function of how the word processor lays out the text (the margins, font size, line spacing etc.). Bookends can look at consecutive citations. But after that it can't know on what page in the document they appear.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thesis_Writer

Re: Question regarding Citation -> Replace repeated authors

Post by Thesis_Writer »

Thanks for you feedback Jon! You are right, Bookends can not know which citation is on what site. Let me ask you in another way: When I cite a book, and no other citation from another book follows, Bookends will be able to recognize it, right? When this happens I just want to have "Idem" printed (as there is no other citation between the first and the second one). When I cite a book, and another one will be cited, and the first one will be cited again, Bookends should export the full information again, in my case "Author (Date)" (because in the case there is different citation between the first and the third one).

To illustrate it:

First scenario, with two identical citations ->
1. Mankiw/ Taylor (2012).
2. Idem.

Second scenario ->
1. Mankiw/ Taylor (2012).
2. Schierenbeck/ Woehle (2012.
3. Mankiw/ Taylor (2012)

Can this be realized with Bookends?

---------
Update: Yes, it seems to work! Lbid was the game changer. Will do some further investigation, however, looks really promising. Thanks a lot for your help!