NIH Grant Format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
tedg

NIH Grant Format

Post by tedg »

I am addressing NIH for the first time in a grant proposal. I understand that they require certain information to help them evaluate proposals through on-line references and require a certain format.

Can you advise on what to use? I assume that I have to go through every reference I use and assure that certain info is present.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: NIH Grant Format

Post by Jon »

There is no specified format for NIH RO1 grants as far as I know. It looks like pretty much any format we distribute will suffice. This is from their web site

"Bibliography & References Cited (formerly "Literature Cited")

Provide a bibliography of any references cited in the Research Plan. Each reference must include the names of all authors (in the same sequence in which they appear in the publication), the article and journal title, book title, volume number, page numbers, and year of publication. "

Jon
Sonny Software
tedg

Post by tedg »

Just so future Forum visitors have this info…

Proposal guidance is in SF424_RR_Guide_SBIR_STTR_VerC.pdf

Section 4.4.9 on Page I-85:

When citing articles that fall under the Public Access Policy, were authored or co-authored by the applicant and arose from NIH support, provide the NIH Manuscript Submission reference number (e.g., NIHMS97531) or the PubMed Central (PMC) reference number (e.g., PMCID234567) for each article. If the PMCID is not yet available because the Journal submits articles directly to PMC on behalf of their authors, indicate “PMC Journal – In Process.” A list of these journals is posted at: http://publicaccess.nih.gov/submit_process_journals.htm. Citations that are not covered by the Public Access Policy, but are publicly available in a free, online format may include URLs or PubMed ID (PMID) numbers along with the full reference (note that copies of publicly available publications are not accepted as appendix material). The references should be limited to relevant and current literature. While there is not a page limitation, it is important to be concise and to select only those literature references pertinent to the proposed research
DrFranco

Post by DrFranco »

I have made up an NIH Grant Format (PHS 398) that I'd be happy to upload or share. It follows the recommended guidelines, including the most important addition that it includes the PMCID and PMID. It also doesn't print those fields if they are empty, which is possible in older citations.

---Frank
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for making that. If you want to send it to me (zipped) I can add it to the distribution.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrFranco

Post by DrFranco »

Done.

---Frank